• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody with expertise on Zenith carbs?

SteveJ

No, I'm not dropping the K-fish off my car.

I have a friend that is into old Land Rovers. The ones that ~really~ go off road, and not the type that load up on leather seats and chrome wheels to cruise the boulevard.

One of his old rides has Zenith carbs. He has been unable to get much help from the Land Rover groups. Most of the Landy guys all change over to newer FI motors or maybe to Solex's. He says they must have something against Zenith carbs.

Anybody here have much knowledge on these carbs? I didn't ask what his specific issues were. I was just going to play middleman and get him in touch with someone who might be able to help.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

There is a reason why you dont see Zenith carbs any more...... Up grade to webers Marlin. Your probably to young to remember Wild Kingdom..... Zenith rebuild kits show up on Ebay as do the out of print Zenith/Stromberg shop manuals.It could be w2orse. You could be asking about SU's

Zenith Model 32NDIX (IIRC) downdraft carbs were really popular with the VW Off-road crowd years ago. I've seen dual Zenith's installed on a buggy before. Then there was the Holley "Bug Spray" two-barrel carb. Talk about a gas hog.

Not sure there are many folks around who (still) specialize in them. Hemmings Motor News would be a good starting point though.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was a Sunday staple. Usually on right before The Wonderful World of Disney. I particularly liked the later years when Marlin would stay in the studio and let his new flunkie Jim do all the daunting tasks.

Marlin- "The bull rhino is down. Let's watch as Jim tries to collect a sample."

"Run Jim! Run!"

Much of what you say also pertains to people changing Solex carbs for Webers, or even fuel injection for Webers. When any of these systems was new, they worked (for the most part, probably poorly) as the factory had intended. Can they be tempermental? Hell yes. Can they be made to run the way they were supposed to? Hell yes, again, but only if you know what you are doing. Try handing a K-fish set up to someone that only knows Holley carbs. Think they stand a chance at getting the Kfish to work? I'd get frustrated, too, and swap over to Webers. That was a common thing for a lot of people to do back in the 80's. How about the people that ripped the motors out of their XKE's to drop in Chevy 350's? What'd that do to the value of their cars now? :^)

I think my friend is more concerned with originality on this vehicle. And maybe a sense of pride to say he got them working. He will probably go to a different carb as a last resort.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I too watched WK on Sunday nights - laughing at the way Marlin would describe Jim's wrestling of wild animals each week. Later on, Jim would be a regular with his wild animals on The Tonight Show.

The magical "Weber" name meant everything to most gearheads. Wow- just look at those huge carbs! I too wanted a set of IDA's or IDF's for my VW's, but I couldn't afford them. My first engine had a replacement Weber (single barrel) for my 1641cc "slip-in big bore" engine (LOL). Next up was a single Dellorto 40 DLRA with small venturis. After that came dual Weber 34 ICT single-barrel carbs with goofy linkage in my 75 Std. Beetle.

I've been extremely happy with the dual Dellorto 40 DLRA's with update kit and Gene Berg crossbar linkage installed in my 1776cc engine.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was a Sunday staple. Usually on right before The Wonderful World of Disney. I particularly liked the later years when Marlin would stay in the studio and let his new flunkie Jim do all the daunting tasks.

Marlin- "The bull rhino is down. Let's watch as Jim tries to collect a sample."

"Run Jim! Run!"

Much of what you say also pertains to people changing Solex carbs for Webers, or even fuel injection for Webers. When any of these systems was new, they worked (for the most part, probably poorly) as the factory had intended. Can they be tempermental? Hell yes. Can they be made to run the way they were supposed to? Hell yes, again, but only if you know what you are doing. Try handing a K-fish set up to someone that only knows Holley carbs. Think they stand a chance at getting the Kfish to work? I'd get frustrated, too, and swap over to Webers. That was a common thing for a lot of people to do back in the 80's. How about the people that ripped the motors out of their XKE's to drop in Chevy 350's? What'd that do to the value of their cars now? :^)

I think my friend is more concerned with originality on this vehicle. And maybe a sense of pride to say he got them working. He will probably go to a different carb as a last resort.

Jim Gerock

I'm pretty sure I still have a pair of Zenith's in my shed if need them... And I almost forgot, I believe the Haynes Weber repair manual also covers Zenith's as well. And Royze for sure sells the rebuild kits...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Sort-of on the topic. Here is the info I have from a great book first published in 1970 by Bill Fisher.

Zenith32NDIX.jpg

This is a different cover than the original one that had a VW Type I race engine equipped with Hilborn fuel injection (no cooling tin) - I think the former cover picture is on page 42 of the book. I don't remember when I bought this book, but it sometimes appears in either Barnes & Noble or Borders from time to time.

BillFisherCover.jpg

This is a wonderful book for VW enthusiasts. It even has dyno comparison graphs, blueprinting info, and loads of practical tips on modifying the VW. The late Gene Berg often refers to this book in his technical writings. Hmm, EMPI slipper skirt pistons, SPG roller cranks, Weber 40 DCNF Carbs - all worth a small fortune now.

Jim Gerock