• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 owner with 318i M10 engine.

Artie777

I am looking for something to do with my engine. I have a spare M10 that I'd like to rebuild. My car is E30 M10 with 1.8L M10.

I want to try 2.0L crank with longer rods and light pistons for the bottom end. With the head, I'm thinking about larger valves, port and polish (with flow bench) and some aggressive cams, springs.

I am not a rich as a majority of M10 owners, so I can not dive in into the project without second opinion.

The end goal is to race in auto-x and road circuits. I did it all my life and would like to continue with this E30. I already gut it out, welded roll cage in and installed race suspension and engine management.

Where can I find engine specs for 2.0L crank, rods and pistons. I would like to play with numbers and figure out what I need for the bottom end.

Any and all help or opinion are greatly appreciated.

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi

the rods are the same in 1.8L and 2.0L

just change the crank and pistons if you want just to bring it up to 2.0L

since you have a 1.8L head, you will need to have some custom pistons from IE to match the combustion chamber to get a decent CR, unless you use common stock flat tops thus giving a ~ 8:1 CR (low).

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

since you have a 1.8L head, you will need to have some custom pistons from IE to match the combustion chamber to get a decent CR, unless you use common stock flat tops thus giving a ~ 8:1 CR (low).

Cool.

Rod is 135mm. 2.0L crank 81mm stroke. This will bring me to 1.66 rod ratio, not bad. With me revving engine to 7500 at most is not bad at all. I will need to change piston compression height with custom made pistons and call it a day.

What is cc on 1.8 head? anyone?

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi

Cool.

Rod is 135mm. 2.0L crank 81mm stroke. This will bring me to 1.66 rod ratio, not bad. With me revving engine to 7500 at most is not bad at all. I will need to change piston compression height with custom made pistons and call it a day.

What is cc on 1.8 head? anyone?

see my collection of info there.

1.8L head is 63cc.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,313512/

if you keep stock rods then compression height shouldt change, just get some flat top meant for 2.0L copied but forged and call it a day.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

see my collection of info there.

1.8L head is 63cc.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,313512/

if you keep stock rods then compression height shouldt change, just get some flat top meant for 2.0L copied but forged and call it a day.

WOW Thanks. It's exactly what I was looking for.

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi

Mmmmm, crusty :P

My 318i head looks like this at the moment:

IMG_8365(Large).JPG

Amazingly it still ran, it got me home, idled quite well, still got up to 50-60ish without much trouble.

Bottom line: running a bit lean on 11psi with a stock head gasket and stock bolts didn't go well.

Still, it took some 8000 miles to blow including overheating a few times (forgot to tighten a coolant hose, twice, among other things) and general spirited driving (quite a few 130mph runs and so on)

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

I start taking my engine apart.

doesnt look that bad. You have the easy set-up with that intake, you can hook up almost any injectors, tby to this and the fueling of your choice. I like SDS for its simplicity over ALL others.

intersting enough, you have domed pistons which gives around 8.8:1 cr

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Bottom line: running a bit lean on 11psi with a stock head gasket and stock bolts didn't go well.

Still, it took some 8000 miles to blow including overheating a few times (forgot to tighten a coolant hose, twice, among other things) and general spirited driving (quite a few 130mph runs and so on)

Running lean is never a good thing. Hope you fix it.

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi

doesnt look that bad. You have the easy set-up with that intake, you can hook up almost any injectors, tby to this and the fueling of your choice. I like SDS for its simplicity over ALL others.

What is the SDS? is it a engine management system some sort?

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi

What is the SDS? is it a engine management system some sort?

worth a look:

http://sdsefi.com/

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

LOL

I do need some inspiration, but I also need to pay my bills. I like simplicity. NoSocE30 very talented and bright individual and I respect him very much for that matter, but I would not want to do the same to my car.

I would like to make exhaust manifold smaller and shorter. This will allow me to mount turbo higher and thus eliminating the necessity to set extra pumps etc. My turbo would be smaller to allow for the better response down low and it would have internal waste gate. I would not make nearly as much power as he but I would be able to pay my fee to NASA and SCCA.

In boost we trust

Life begins at 30psi