• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$24,750 for a '74 at Barret Jackson. YOUSA !!!

JohnN

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a crazy price to me for a big bumper, non tii

Maybe, maybe not. If it's true that there's $30,000 worth of receipts, then it could be a good deal. I've probably got $15-$18k in my car, and that's not counting labor. Most of us are surprised when a car goes for this much, but why are we not surprised at how much money we dump into these cars over time? If one was going to decide on having a car restored or buying one that has already been restored, the latter is generally the better deal, as long as it's done to the same standards you would have paid for.

Also consider how much the cost of parts has gone up recently. All in all, it may be a bargain to buy a well-restored car for $24k

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

agreed, and figure that BJ is the absolute top end of the spectrum-

or the bottom, depending on your prejudice.

I can guarantee you will get better value- for- money from a Faqquer!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I can guarantee you will get better value- for- money from a Faqquer!

True, but what faqquer is going to sell his or her freshly restored car? And why would a faqqer be willing to take a substantial loss after investing $30k? (not this faqquer!) I think it's reasonable to try to recover as much of that investment as possible.

I don't know the details on the auction, but presumably he wasn't bidding against himself. Obviously there were at least two people who wanted to buy a 2002 that isn't available at your local BMW dealer or Craiglist etc. etc. If the buyer didn't make that last bid, it would have sold for something less, and we'd be still be having the same discussion. I know that the psychology of an auction affects the bidding (frenzy), but I doubt that's much of a factor on a car as common as this one. I mean it's not "to die for", so I can only conclude that the price was fair!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Well it is a very clean car and it's worth what someone is willing to pay as we all know. I don't know of any collector car books that would have the price that high. The highest I've seen a non tii price in the books is around 16k; however maybe the 02 is coming up good or bad I don't know just happy I have mine. And I agree with T, I'm not selling! I could probably make a nickel if I sold Narlie , but then I would only have money and not an 02.

My 2.3 Mazda 3 is a great little car but I don't get the smiles and winks and the awesome car dude statements when I drive that and last but least I just don't feel the same.

We are fortunate sons here to own an icon.

I hope the guy invest in a different shift knob though.

I'm prepping my tii for a $75K sale next year ;)

That's $75K CDN.

:^)

Whatcha doin' Kris. Telling the wife, "OK, I'll put my car up for sale." and then setting the price ~real~ high so no one buys it? Then you go back and say, "Gee honey, I tried to sell my car, but nobody wants these old things. Maybe I need to make some improvements to it so it will sell."

Hmmm...think I'm gonna try that with my M3.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

You have an M3?

;-)

That's $75K CDN.

Whatcha doin' Kris. Telling the wife, "OK, I'll put my car up for sale." and then setting the price ~real~ high so no one buys it? Then you go back and say, "Gee honey, I tried to sell my car, but nobody wants these old things. Maybe I need to make some improvements to it so it will sell."

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

That's $75K CDN.

Hey $75K CDN = $75K US right now. One of the benefits of your gov't buying all the banks ;)

...And I do have the list of "improvements" my car needs. Much smaller than a few years ago, but the items are more expensive too

70 M2 2.5L 

Trade ya even.

;-)

That's $75K CDN.

Hey $75K CDN = $75K US right now. One of the benefits of your gov't buying all the banks ;)

...And I do have the list of "improvements" my car needs. Much smaller than a few years ago, but the items are more expensive too

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.