• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it such a lovable car?

kota02

I think it will be interesting to hear what everybody thinks the reason might be could be?

There are so many old cars, why is the 02 considered such a cult car?

I think it is not just us, who drive it, but also our Kids who love it as much as we do, and I think right there is the reason for it. It look very similar to the first respectable drawing of a car that most of us can remember, and our kids draw a similar shape.

Boxy, upright green house, smiling grill, and two, big, round Headlight.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's stupid fun to drive , very reliable, stupid fun to drive, smog exempt in CA, and most of all, stupid fun to drive...

+1

plus it is fun to try to follow napa02 through the hills in the "Shamrock Rally"

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

"But there is little argument about the Adam of sport sedans. Not that anyone in 1968 realized the significance of the BMW 2002 (or its predecessor, the 1600), cars whose advanced powertrains, tucked in unremarkable boxes, were known to goad otherwise responsible citizens into acting like adolescents on public roadways.

By the time the car evolved into the 130-horsepower 2002tii of 1972, a giant killer with tricks up its sleeve - like disc brakes and a fuel-injected overhead-cam engine - BMW was on its way to becoming, as its advertising tag line later boasted, "the ultimate driving machine." "

link - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/24/automobiles/24AUTO.html

See also the NYT "Love On Wheels" by CAITLIN MACY -

http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/specials/20010225mag-lovewheels.html

20010225mag-macy_1.jpg

If you haven't yet read "Turn Your Hymnals", then I think you should turn your keys and title over to me -

Download PDF at -

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/08q3/from_the_c_d_archives-info/from_the_c_2fd_archives_page_2

2010-01-21_104104.jpg

It's tossable, communicative, has a design that keeps me look over my shoulder when I walk away from one in a parking lot.

And....the super hot 21 yr old local Barista said that my cars are "pimpin" and wanted to go for a ride.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

I've tried to answer that question for myself and others for almost as long as Mike Self. It's hard boiling it down to just a few reasons, but here's my dirty dozen in no particular order:

1. Agile, balanced handling, goes where you point it, corners like it's on rails

2. Timeless, ageless styling - A beguiling aesthetic combining simple lines and tasteful accents that still exude, and inspire, confidence even when parked

3. A front grill design that belongs in the Industrial Art Hall of Fame (where ever that might be)

4. A responsive 4-cylinder engine with wonderfully linear power and torque curves that intersect when you most want both, mated to a transmission that allows the driver to mix gear and power to slice any corner at any speed with razor like precision

5. Few cars offer as great a road feel, from the soles of your feet to the tips of your fingers

6. One of the most useful trunk spaces of any car ever made

7. Tremendous visibility for situational awareness, matched only by the cockpit of a sailplane

8. A design that turns heads equally of those who never heard of the car and those whose memories of lost youth were just awakened, and compels both to ask questions to learn more.

9. Fairly simple mechanicals that reward a knowing wrench with instant gratification

10. A basic no-frills interior that offers competent and comfortable ergonomics

11. A car that remained true to its market niche without embarrassing attempts to offer faux glitz and gadgets or compromise to chase a broader appeal, a car that still says "you know what I am, figure out what you want and then come and see me."

12. A car that demands and gets undying loyalty and affection from its owners by rewarding every drive with a smile, whether in a rally or to the grocery for a gallon of milk.

13. (ok, dirty bakers dozen) Regardless of your age, you are always twenty something behind the wheel of an 02.

John P

'72 '02, Agave/tan - 1972 - 1984

'74 tii, Malaga/tan - 1984 -1986

'72 tii, Taiga/black - 1999 - present

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

I would like to add a few reasons:

1. Incredible fun to drive (ok, that has been mentioned before). Nothing feels better than hopping in the 2002 after a long work day.

2. Timeless and "class-less" car that does not reveal the social background of the driver. There are not many cars around where you can find a high school student or a doctor or college professor driving it.

3. Used as a DD, it is a practical reliable car that you can drive for years and not lose any value, like you would with a Honda or Toyota. It's a no-brainer ...

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

Everything in life is a compromise.

The 02's give you that fun driving experience, while still giving you some utility.

Back when the cars were new, if you needed a "family car", you probably would have ended up with a sky blue, four door Ford or the like. Utility? Yes. Fun to drive? Hardly. With the 02, you could put 4 people and luggage in it for utility, but then empty it out and carve up the roads.

Other cars carve up the roads MUCH better than an 02, but have you tried to put 4 people and luggage in a 911?

The style has become classic with it's chrome trim and round headlights. Distinctive. Try to spot the back end of an E90 BMW versus a Honda Accord from a distance. They are all looking alike.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

you guys are forgetting something important too.

it's also cheap. Compared to other cars like ours i mean. Alfas, porsches, and most other european sports cars are not affordable to tinker on let alone drive around almost everyday. Most of those cars like Porsches are unattainable to most guys. Plus who would want to associate with a bunch of old rich dickheads every time you went to a swap meet. Wait, do porsche guys even go to swap meets or do they just do that concourse stuff?

You can't find a drivable gtv for two grand that isn't about to implode into a fiery ball of rust as you take it round a corner.

If you're mechanically adept you can find motor transplants for a few hundred bucks and drop in a huge power increase that won't destroy the handling properties.

If you're really crafty it's possible to find 5 speed boxes for 100-150 bucks if you are patient and know how to look for stuff. (yeah i know they usually fetch 250 plus, it's not the norm, but you can still find great deals)

Yeah ok stuff like new beltline trim costs like 1200 dollars, but you can find good second hand trim for way way

The comparative cheapness of the 02 puts sporty, stylish, classy,vintage fun from almost 45 years ago into our hands. When you put that petal down to the floor in the back roads you're feeling what all those ballsy great race drivers felt 45 years ago, for a fraction of the cost of other great period cars.

and on top of that, the lower costs generally attract down to earth people who love driving and tinkering. More or less people with 02's genuinely enjoy making their old cars better, and aren't in the 02 game to see if they can throw more money at their cars than the next guy, just to stand smugly next to them with "a nicer" while pretentious judges give them points because they have the correct 600 dollar 6mm nut instead of the 6mm from a hardware store

dan.

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

For me, it's stupid fun to drive , very reliable, stupid fun to drive, smog exempt in CA, and most of all, stupid fun to drive...

+1

plus it is fun to try to follow napa02 through the hills in the "Shamrock Rally"

Very much looking forward to this years Shamrock...:)

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Someone mentioned that it is a classless car. That's true, some of us are weatlhy, some are struggling students, some are newly married w/ a kid on the way, some are retired.... Instead what '02 owners have in common is smarts and an upbeat, pragmatic approach to life. Fun with style and practicality for all!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz