• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it such a lovable car?

kota02

Great thread.

John, your reason #11 (A car that remained true to its market niche without embarrassing attempts to offer faux glitz and gadgets or compromise to chase a broader appeal, a car that still says "you know what I am, figure out what you want and then come and see me.") is SOOOO true.

Almost 25 years ago I wrote in the Roundel:

"What's so good about 2002s? That's easy. They're sports cars that do a lot of things well. If you listen to and obey the warning signs and sounds, they're extremely dependable. Granted, I usually carry enough tools to repair a small plane, but I've never had a 2002 die and leave me in the lurch. You can drive them all day at 8/10 without blowing head gaskets and still get decent mileage. They handle well. They are easy to repair. They respond well to gerry-rigging and modification. Parts prices aren't completely outrageous (only moderately outrageous). Used parts are fairly ubiquitous. And this musician can't put 4 guitars in the back of a 911."

And I'll add my latest two reasons:

1) It makes me feel young again

2) Those round taillights are as perky as an eighteen year old in a wet t-shirt contest

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tossable, communicative, has a design that keeps me look over my shoulder when I walk away from one in a parking lot.

And....the super hot 21 yr old local Barista said that my cars are "pimpin" and wanted to go for a ride.

what kind of "ride"?....

Well....I'm still married but the wife prefers that I pull my own shots at home now.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

Thanks for asking a great question!

Perhaps already said in a number of ways: unique combination of style and practicality. Conceptually more rare then we think. Cognates include Levi's (don't even need the word jean), iPods, etc.

For me, it goes back to 1974 when I bought my first 02 (Inka tii). I came from British cars which were fun to drive but decomposed on the spot and were always broken. I progressed to an Alfa (because it was reliable!) and then to an 02. The 02, though it was terribly expensive at the time, was fun AND reliable, a combination hard to find in those days. I have had many since - drivers, show quality cars, highly modified cars, and close to stock. I frankly think you can find a better BMW (E30's have AC, ventilation, etc and are light enough to have fun with). The issue is for me, you can't find better people. That's what keep me coming back to 2002's. That and because they make me smile as I remember what it was like to drive my first new car when I was 21.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Someone mentioned that it is a classless car. That's true, some of us are weatlhy, some are struggling students, some are newly married w/ a kid on the way, some are retired.... Instead what '02 owners have in common is smarts and an upbeat, pragmatic approach to life. Fun with style and practicality for all!

Some members have had 02s and been in several categories over the years.....hoping for the retired 02 guardian slot one day..... but it sure was fun having an 02 in college.

My thoughts. RWD + OLD + 4 cyl + Small = Sensible classic car hobby that can attain Hemi car power / weight ratios if you need it to.

..And when the muscle car/hot rod guys try to blow you off for not being American made, just tempt them off the highway and onto the back roads. Lose them in the tangled black top, then they get it.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

A significant raising of eyebrows on this one

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

For me, it's stupid fun to drive , very reliable, stupid fun to drive, smog exempt in CA, and most of all, stupid fun to drive...

+2 or is it +3

They are a lovable car. I've met many people who have a story about their 02 they once had or a friend had. And as mentioned 02 owners are a great bunch of people, I feel privileged to be amongst such good company.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Hah - well you are married.

These are the two best lines in this post:

Those round taillights are as perky as an eighteen year old in a wet t-shirt contest

the wife prefers that I pull my own shots at home now

By the way - I googled Caitlin Macy and e-mailed her this thread. Think she has her 02 still? Think she'll chime in? That would be kind of cool.....

Finally - why do I love my 02? Several reasons:

It's unique. In a metro area of about 5 million people, I've only seen 5 (counting mine).

The number of man hours of work I've put into it....blood, sweat and tears baby. And - it works.

It's beautiful. 'Nuf said.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Its fun to drive! Easy to work on and parts are cheap and easily obtained. At least the ones I need :P Plus they fit 4 and they're sporty! That was why I bought mine!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2