• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to remove chrome trim around windows without damage

JUMPNYC

Hi guys! What is the best way to remove chrome trim around windows (the rain gutters) without damage to the trim? I did a search and most of the door trim, etc trim is clips I can remove with my hands, but above the windows on the roof seems more difficult to remove. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

I started at one end (the back end I think) and, with a small (about 1" wide) wedge of wood, tapped it until it moved. Then continued all along just gently tapping it free. Mine came away with no damage.

Helps to have someone to hold the end you started at, as you work your way along, or it may droop down and bend.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I did mine the same way. You'll get some additional curve in the piece, but you can carefully straighten it after removal if you're going to reuse it. I found that, as I was buffing the piece, it was quite easy to bend when it was warm.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

you have strong fingernails, you can pull it towards you from the bottom edge a little at a time, working back to front, and get it off that way. A good arguement for not biting your nails!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite