• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 74 tii project

Gordon

My current 74tii is a Frankenstein, It's been hit several times, lots of body parts have been replaced, (whole sunroof clip was replaced, piss poor job) lots of bondo, some rust. Instead of trying fix it, I found a 74 tii shell that I decided to transfer all of the parts from my current tii into. I traded my 85 Euro spec 525e 5 speed for the shell. As you can see by the pics in the link, the E28 is in need of a serious paint job needs some interior work, and mechanical upgrades but it's a rust free Euro M20 eta E28 that was imported into CA in 85.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/bimmerfan02/Gordon%20E28/

The shell that I swapped my E28 to Coupe King for is a Sahara 74 tii, no sunroof (2780763). The tii is an aborted M20 project that the PO gave up on but luckily no body parts were cut before the PO gave up on the project. The shell came with no motor or gearbox but it's a clean and straight rust free original CA tii. I decided to do it right this time, Euro bumper conversion, shave the side marker lights. The shell was converted to electric windows by the PO but I'm going back to manual windows. I believe that square tail cars with Euro bumpers looks so much better than diving board bumpers. In fact, I like square tail light cars with Euro bumpers more than roundies but that's personal opinion. I used to have a 75 Sahara Euro spec 1802 when I was in the AF and stationed in Germany in the early 80's. So I've always liked the Euro bumper look on 02's.

My current tii has a Jack Fahuna rebuilt motor with only 25K since the rebuild seven years ago. 5 speed, lsd, polyurethane bushings, Bilstein's, Eibach's, ST swaybars, recarro seats, Euro spec crack free one piece dash (no fasten seatbelt billboard), SS brake lines, Curt Ingrahm radiator, 15" Alpina replica wheels, E30 map light mirror, etc...

Yes I'm having the tii repainted in its original color, Sahara. I believe in keeping a tii in it's original color. If you want a tii in a certain color, find one in that color.

Here's the work that's being done on my tii shell by CoupeKing's shop.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/bimmerfan02/Gordon/tii/

My current tii will be delivered to Peter's shop in the next couple of weeks to complete the transfer the parts. The transfer of parts will occur after the tii is repainted. More pics as work progresses.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Sounds like the path I took: 74tii, cleaned up with as many new parts as I could, including a new interior with euro dash, bumper conversion, etc. I also find the square light, small bumper combo to be the bomb! My only difference in approach was a color change. It worked out, but I was lucky.

74tii; 70 2800cs; 72 CSL; etc. and then some. I need to see a doctor about this habit!

• 2 weeks later...