• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello! And a few 2002 questions.

Nay

Thanks for your response mate.

True, a lot of users here are from the US. RHD configurations do run into exhaust manifold issues. My "BTB 3" manifold was specifically designed to allow E30s to have both an uprated steering rack (E36, E36, Z3, etc) and have BTB's renowned performance mani, without having to change the rack's mountings or modify the steering column etc.

This is a major factor for me. I am one of 20ish people in the world who owns one. They'll only make them if there is demand for a group buy in the off racing season. Essentially the same as the standard BTB-2, which there is loads. But anyway, I'd really want to use that.

About the "desirability" of a 2002 touring. They are generally undersirable cars/bmw's but within a niche community, the popularity for them will be much higher. For example, most E30 owners/fans would see the charm in an unmolestered 1984 316 chromie with an M10 engine (absolute bottom of the chain). Personnally I prefer the saloon 2002's, but the tourings have their charm. Considering I live in Jersey, which is a 9x5 mile island stuck in between the UK and Europe, to even find a 2002 for sale is lucky.

But as you said, most of the info I'll probably find on here relates to the US spec cars.

As I said, if I could get this car in my possesion, I'd probably do something closer to a resto, and learn about the possibilities as I go. Exhaust and gearbox issues when fitting the M20 into one is enough for me to know that the M20 will suffer badly from that (for what I want from the car).

So, what are the common engine mods/swaps? I assume M10 turbo's? and S14's? Possibly M52's?

Check with Nick at this website http://www.m2bmw.com/ he is somewhat local to you (England, France) and I believe his Touring is also RHD.

Good luck and welcome,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

From what I have read, the M20 adds only about 100 pounds to the car.

What makes it work without major changes to the sheetmetal up front is the absence of a distributor at the rear of the engine, which allows you to install the engine further back.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Another Nathan ay? Its a damn good name. Possibly THE best name? lol

Urm, fabrication skills... not really. But i'm a careful guy who works out everything first.

Mechanical skills, some. I'm not a know it all mechanic, but a nut and bolt replacement stuff I can do. I know a few people in the know though.

I'm a person where if it fits, or with these parts it'll fit, I can do it. If its re-routing, fabricating new parts and generally needing to know A LOT of stuff, its probably out of my league. Both in DIY or funding.

I'm a handyman person though, so I can always pull stuff apart and put back together.

If i go see this 2002, I'll take some photies and show you guys it. I know the owner, but never got round to going for a gander.

Haha, the world outside your head? lol, joking.

Most people think the tourings look like wierd hatchbacks.

The saloon has a much more intruiging shape to the un-initiated eye.

The Touring was not all that well received during its years of manufacture. Were it not for the German & Belgian police buying them, BMW may have ceased production earlier than they did. However, fewer numbers make for rarity, and, in the US, rarity means it commands a decent price (unlike the UK and as long it's not a rust bucket). A very decent RHD Touring sold over here (US) not too long ago for around $13,000 (IIRC).

Here's what you can do to a Touring if you have ££££.

http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/cotm/cotm_feb_09.html

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thats a very nice touring. I would love to do something like that one day, but I'm not a competant enough home engineer to mount the baby six M20 into one without knowing exactly what I'm getting into.