• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyota Sticking Pedal

Richard

It still baffles me that people dont realize that there is no shift lock between any gear and neutral. If it sticks, shove it in neutral. Geez.

If you don't know how to operate a car, you shouldn't drive. But our society is really good at pointing the finger.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

Toyota's engine management system will not shift into or out of gear above 2k RPM, this is to prevent engine damage before your run away car hits a wall at 110 MPH. Also notice that the Preis (SP) is not on the list even though acount for almost half of the runaway Toyotas

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Something in my memory says that a similar thing happened with Audi years ago. Does anybody remember what effect that had with their sales?

Honda, Nissan, and all might want to jump all over this. With some tact, of course. Maybe just play up their own safety features in their ads.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

at that time there was probably no affect to their sales...and now look at their product....stunning...

My concern with the whole Toyota plant idling, and sales stoppage is the suppliers who supply other OEMs and other manufacturers....all of a sudden a supplier is out a large percentage of their sales.....if Toyota can't find a solution for months...it may cause that small supplier to close its door and force other car makers/manufacturers to have to find new suppliers in a short time frame.....the impact could be HUGE!!!!

It was the Audi 5000, my mom had one back then. It had a terrible effect on Audi's U.S. car sales. It took them many years to recover. When it was investigated thoroughly, no defect was found in the 5000. Rumors only... With Toyota, it is a genuine electronic glitch of some sort, not a mechanical one.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim is right...The unintended acceleration problem with the Audi 5000 effectively KILLED Audi in the US for several years. They never really regained a foothold until the release of the '96 A4. Pedal placement was the culprit finally decided on in the Audi 5000 cases.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Hmm...and what were the upscale German cars in the market in the Mid-1980's? BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. Audi was knocked out of the game, BMW probably made several more sales than they would have otherwise.

Yeah, Audi didn't start to have a presence again until 10 years later. The 80, 90, 100 models did just OK, but they finally got their big break with the A4. Most of the American buying public had long forgotten the "sudden acceleration".

Some of the crappy econo-boxes I have driven would have benefited greatly by having sudden acceleration...or ANY acceleration.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I do think Toyota is spinning the mechanical side of it to prevent millions of cars being parked out of fear.There is no mechanical connection between pedal and throttle body. And to think modern airliners are the same way.... Slowly your hearing that its a computer problem. I have a question: Would you drive or allow family members to drive a car that could accelerate at any time??? Poster above is right going to neutral is not an option....