• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neat Brazilian Automobile Books!

jgerock

My friend Ricardo Prado from Brazil was visiting my company again last week (see here for previous thread http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,317724/highlight,/) and he gave me two interesting car books from Brazil.

They feature both the major and minor manufacturers in Brazil (Simca, VW, Alfa Romeo, Willys, Fiat, Chrysler, DKW, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.). The book "Memories on Wheels" features cars like the Willys Interlagos that was just featured in Hemmings Sports & Exotic. Both books contain fascinating information on vehicles I've never seen before. Unfortunately, there isn't anything on BMW's.

Brazilautobooks003.jpg

Brazilautobooks001.jpg

Brazilautobooks002.jpg

Brazilautobooks004.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

BMW & PORSCHE CARS ARE A RARE SIGHT ON THE ROADS OF BRAZIL .

THERE IS A HUGE IMPORT TARIFF ON CARS PRODUCED OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY SO MOST OF WHAT YOU SEE THERE IS IN SOME WAY

BUILT THERE .

MERCEDES AND VW ARE BOTH BIG THERE AND AUDI HAS HAD A PRESENCE SINCE THE AUTO UNION DAYS .

( THERE IS AN AUTO UNION OVER THE "UTMO" ON THE COVER OF THE MEMORIES BOOK )

THE BIG THREE ARE THERE TOO . FORD's MOST MODERN FACTORY IS THERE . HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A CHEVY OPALA ?

FIAT AND RENAULT ARE COMMON NAMES THERE AS IS TOYOTA .

LEXUS IS A MODEL NAME OF A TOYOTA RATHER THAN A SEPARATE MAKE .

BMW IS SOLD THROUGH A VERY FEW DEALERS AND THE CAR IS A TOTAL STATUS SYMBOL THERE

SO WHAT WAS THEIR FIRST CAR ? WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT WAS THE ISETTA ?

THIS WAS NOT NOT THE BMW ISETTA BUT THE ROMI VERSION .

WHILE ISO SOLD THE RIGHTS TO BUILD THE ISETTA TO BMW , IT WAS ALSO SOLD IT TO SEVERAL OTHER COMPANIES .

ROMI MADE ISETTAS IN SAO PAULO FROM 1956 TO 1961 .

THE EARLY ONES USED THE ISO TWO STROKE ENGINES BUT THEY CHANGED OVER TO THE BMW 4 STROKE POWERPLANTS AROUND 1958 .

TODAY ROMI ISETTAS ARE VERY RARE AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER BY BRASILIAN COLLECTORS .

MOST OF THEM HAVE BEEN MODIFIED AND COBBLED UP OVER THE YEARS WITH CORRECT CARS BRINGING LARGE PREMIUMS .

SOME 200 OR SO ARE THOUGHT OT SURVIVE .

THERE IS EVEN A COMPANY MAKING REPLICAS TO ORDER !

http://www.replicadeisetta.com.br/

reodor.gif