• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy way to buy a 76 02 in CA?

flipper

per the future article, is not the idea to HAVE lots of adventures including breakdowns and those he would meet as a result? going over this car completely before departure would for sure decrease the adventures! perhaps make sure all bolts are secure and you don't lose a wheel. heh. i say take your chances and have some true crazy stuff happen and meet those wild characters!

but be safe :)

matt

Matt: You have it right. If it's smooth sailing all the way across, I'm sunk. Stuff has got to happen and, naturally, for comedy's sake, the worse it is, the better, within limits. I know what my editor really wants. What he really wants is for me to land bright eyed and bushy tailed in L.A., get snookered by some fast-talking West Coast 2002 sharpie, and then go off toodling down the road, whistling a happy tune, with bad things about to happen. I want some of that, only not the whole 9 nine yards. I've done these kinds of so-called experiential stories before and they can get ugly. I'm a little tired of it. But I do want the car. I do want to travel cross country. I do want the adventure. I do want to take the car etc off on my taxes!!!!

The question is, how do I strike that happy medium?

I'm not sure. I think maybe my best bet is to skip the West Coast sharpie and try to forge some well-meaning alliances in L.A. to help me get a car, all of us doing the best we can, and then I go from there -- hoping that *stuff happens* despite my best efforts.

Whew. I'm expending a lot of brain power here. And I'm not even getting paid for it yet!

But this is fun, really fun.

Further suggestions, anyone?

Here's what you do (provided the car doesn't actually have any REAL major problems)....

You pre-order a bunch of parts that will need to be replaced because the originals on the car "fail"... Say, a 38/38 to replace the "failed" 32/36 that the car will inevitably come with... Say, a set of headers or a tii exhaust manifold to replace the "failed" 76 thermal reactor monstrosity (on second thought, that probably WILL fail with all that freeway driving)

Heck, if you plan well enough, you could even have the transmission "crap out" and be "forced" to do a five-speed conversion!! (Suspiciously close to some Mid-Western FAQer's house or shop... Hmmm)

Could even play up the alternative story angles that 1) 2002s tend to give you some "warning" signs before absolutely failing, and 2) that there's a network of 02ers across this great land, willing to come to the aid of a fellow enthusiast.

Definitely make sure to "accidentally" drive straight into a curb, bending two of your original steel wheels, and needing to drive 100 thump-thump-thump miles to the nearest wheel shop, where you called ahead for some killer 15-inch alloys with performance tires.

;-)

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

Is there any rule against you buying a suitable beater PLUS a parts car and towing the parts car across the country? Kind of like being in the Dakar Rallye, only you're your own support crew and parts van. The questionable parts will match your questionable repair talents. You'd definitely attract the attention you're hoping to garner. Adventure will be the least of your worries.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

good God after all that, i got the nix on the 2002 idea. seems that only a Porsche 911 will do. anybody know any SoCal Porsche sharpies with a 911 to sell? darn!

That's too bad.... I believe that the 2002 would have made a much better story subject. But then again, I'm biased.

Can gold chains and Hawaiian shirts be written off taxes too? LOL! Just kidding...

Hope you find a decent one with your budget.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290