• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering an E30! What to look out for.

MAD02

Im looking at an '85 318i automatic for the wife tomorrow and would like to know what to look for with these cars. Im not very familiar with the E30 chassis. Are there any issues I should be worried about? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

E30's are very similar to 02's. Fairly simple and able to be worked on.

Let's scratch the noggin and see what falls out-

Make sure the car has passed smog.

Since it's a CA car, rust probably won't be much of an issue unless you are oceanside. One of the spots I have seen rust on E30s out here is the windsheild cowl. Peel back the edge of the seal.

The idle control valve can sometimes go wacky. Could be the ICV or the controller inside the glovebox.

Check the control arm end bushings.

Check the basics- any records, fluids for color, any leaks.

Give the steering rack boot a squeeze to see if the opposite side balloons out. The power steering reservoir commonly leaks both at the cap and the hoses down below.

See what the engine temp gets up to. Should be rock solid in the middle.

All the interior bolts in and out from other models and isn't too expensive.

The 318i will most likely have manual windows, manual sunroof, etc...

One advantage of buying a used automatic is that they are less likely to be modified or the engine/driveline abused.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm an OO (Original owner) of an '84, albeit a 325e. Wonderful car. 318's were woefully underpowered. Here's what's gone wrong in mine - not much - car has been great, and the e engine is a beast.

Cold solder joints in dash lead to electrical shorts and the car just dies

Bad idle control valves

Gaskets around tail lights leak and lead to stealth rust

Steering boxes go bad

Clear coat can crack and split in some places, particularly around the back windows (for some strange reason)

The catch basin (for lack of a better term) between the trunk and the body collects water, and can lead to rust

Rear end is really, really light - hairing handling

Handling improves with strut bar - recommended (Bav Auto Sport makes a good one)

Intermittent wiper switch goes bad

The plastic trim at the top of the door discolors horribly

The chrome trim in the window gaskets does the same - horrible discoloration and fading

Stance is improved if you slap on some Toyo Proxies

Other than that, Klaus still runs strong after 26 years. I have a Korman chip and some other goodies (mostly some suspension stiffening stuff), but largely Klaus gets babied now that he's a senior citizen.

Thank you for the responses, everyone.

Unfortunately I was unable to see the car today. Our cat Saint decided to jump out of the bathroom window in the pouring rain. He then fell off a ledge from our 2nd story apartment building. My wife saw him fall and said he landed hard on the sidewalk below. He was limping so we took him to the vet. All was well thank God. I called the seller and left him a message. So hopefully I will see the car this weekend. Thanks again!

The Evel Knievel of cats!!

christmascat077.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!