• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now the engine & tranny is out, should I go 5sp in the t

Maximillian

If you saw my posts last week, you know that I had Horse Power Enterprises of Lancaster PA pick up my 1974 2002tii out of storage and pull the engine last week. Now I am faced with the question: do I refresh the old original 4speed or go with a 5speed conversion while the engine is out. It has been so long since I drove a 5 speed 2002 a long distance (Juan Cardona's restoration now owned by John in VA) and need to refresh the experience in my mind.

So please gang, give me your personal experiences regarding the pros and cons of a 5speed conversion. Should I make the leap or keep it original ?

Thanks for your input,

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

Max,

here's my observations...

4 speed with a 3.45 diff makes for a really nice driving car. A good example is J Maxson's car (Paul's Emily) was pretty well transformed when the 3.64 was pulled and replaced with a custom 3.45 lsd. Makes the car much more drivable and keeps the revs down on the highway to make the longer trips more comfortable. Requires minimal modification outside of spacers or swapped CVs and half shafts from a 320, that is if you use a 3.45 from a 323 or have one built.

Mark Raspi was so impressed with the 3.45 in Emily that he's sourced one for one of his cars!

I have a 5 speed in my car and love it, although I rarely use 5th gear unless I'm cruising down the highway. I'm not one to take too many long trips but when I do I'm quite happy to have the 5 speed.

Get ready for more snow!!!!

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)