• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front panel conversion (late --> to early version)

Mich

Hi guys.

My front panel on the roundie version is not good and i have a good offer for NOS genuine BMW front panel for the late version for a very good price. But is it possible the conversion, so i can use that late panel and to put my early grills, so i'll keep the roundie look?

Has anybody did this before and if yes do you have some pictures of the modifying and the final result?

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

As others have said, only the "late" grills will fit the "late" nose panel.

However, you can cut the centre part of your early grill out and swap/weld it into the late grill. Which is (afaik) the only difference.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thank you, guys. :) So i'll do it that way - will change the centre area where the kidney is with mine.

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

Is this true, can any one confirm this

"cut the centre part of your early grill out and swap/weld it into the late grill"

This is excellent if this works!!!!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the position of the 4 tabs per side in the nose panel that hold the side grills in. If you cut the centre section like shown in the pic I posted earlier, then you have at least two tabs per side in the right place.

Bear in mind, the orig poster was from Europe, so the slots in the nose panel are the same for all years. Obviously in the US a late nose panel will have huge square holes in it (not slots) for the "big" bumpers.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17