• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many '72 Tii's in Taiga?

DaveB

I'm contemplating a return to the 2002 world, but this time I plan on being a bit more discriminating in the car I want to find. I really have my heart set on a '72tii, and ideally in original Taiga (because it's so seventies funky appropriate). However, I have no idea what the production and survivor numbers look like for taiga roundie Tii's... does anyone?

I just watched this vid before seeing this thread

That poor car had a chequered past.

I've heard Flemings finally sold that car. I wonder what the new owner might find.

Not too many Taigas around for sure, and for a specific 72tii you may have a long search.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks guys.... Yeah, I also suspect that there are not more than a few handful '72s in this color, but don't know the actual production numbers (nor do I know if they're even available). It would certainly be easier to use a solid base and redo the car in my color of choice, but since I'm just in the research stage I figured I'd start by gauging the chances of finding an original!

Les, are those pics the Fleming car pre-warm over?

I've got an original 1972 Tiaga Tii here in SoCal. The car is rust free, and in need of a complete restoration. I was planning on starting it this spring myself, but may sell it. I have a few other projects in the works too. This car is an early 72, with AC and a factory power sunroof. It was stripped for paint, though I have about everything that might be needed.

John Barlow Los Angeles, Ca.

John@VintageMotorsportGroup.com

EBay: NeueKlasseBMWs

O==00==O

www.SoCalVintageBMW.com

www.VintageMotorsportGroup.com

Vintage BMW Source

Motorsport Legends

Groma Race Fabrication

There are power sunroofs too, but very rare. Just got mine roof with power sunroof two days ago, waiting to be installed on the Golf Tii. :)))))

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

I have no idea what the production and survivor numbers look like for taiga roundie Tii's... does anyone?

BMW does not have data for production numbers by paint color.

There is lots of speculation about the numbers of surviving 02s, but there is no way to collect this data. Some countries have vehicle registrations done nationally, but in the US, you would have to go to every state and I would no be surprised if some do not have model identification data.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

That's interesting, Bill. I imagine, then, that there is limited value attached to color originality for repainted cars (assuming assuming we're talking -good- paint jobs, not driveway rattle can fests)? All things being equal, it would certainly be easier to source a good, solid '72 in any old color as a base and then repainting it. I mean, a resto's a resto, and paint is most likely part of the picture anyway...

Yep. It comes down to whether you will be happy with a car that has undergone a (proper) color change. Personally I'd prefer maintaining the car's original color but that of course is just me.

If you do a color change and decide to sell the car down the road, you may find your market slightly more limited.

Then again, all you'd need is one buyer!

Let me know if you run across a schwarz roundlight tii.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

That's interesting, Bill. I imagine, then, that there is limited value attached to color originality for repainted cars (assuming assuming we're talking -good- paint jobs, not driveway rattle can fests)? All things being equal, it would certainly be easier to source a good, solid '72 in any old color as a base and then repainting it. I mean, a resto's a resto, and paint is most likely part of the picture anyway...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm assuming you're aware of the one 2002AD recently sold, right? :)

http://www.2002ad.com/images/carsforsale/black%20tii%20rear.JPG

thx!

Dave.

Yep. It comes down to whether you will be happy with a car that has undergone a (proper) color change. Personally I'd prefer maintaining the car's original color but that of course is just me.

If you do a color change and decide to sell the car down the road, you may find your market slightly more limited.

Then again, all you'd need is one buyer!

Let me know if you run across a schwarz roundlight tii.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray