• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 design philosophy

MrNvgtr

Random thought here while relaxing on the couch drinking a beer on this slow day. First, let me say that I love the 2002. I love everything about the design. The same reason I like most older cars. Even old Volvos and Saabs are beautiful cars in their own right.

With that said, without talking to the design team themselves, does anyone know the details on some of the design pecularities of the 2002? In particular, how about the inverted anti-aerodynamic front grill; bath tub upper body trim line; cartoony glassy cockpit, etc.

In laymans terms, what the hell were they thinking? Unfortunately, with a few rare exceptions (MZ3 Coupe), this look can't be recreated today.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

I think alot of the styling cues came from their current offerings of the time. The NK cars and early coupes were very similar in style. Keep in mind, at the time BMW was a pretty small manufacturer. I think they took the best and most practical style elements and made the '02. You can see this from the greenhouse that's similar to the NK cras to the frameless windows from the coupe. The nose is also a styling cue that came from the early cars. Kind of a forward motion look.

All in all, it may look clunky by todays standards, but really practical if you look back at the offerings from the mid to late sixties.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I certainly can't know what Michelotti was thinking, nor what the BMW stylists had in mind, though the lines of the front fascia and the styling of the rear-window profile lines continue to help define what a BMW is. Interestingly, this is something the domestic manufacturers have forgotten how to do - if indeed they ever knew.

But I think probably that the upright, low-beltline/high-greenhouse deal was a (quite successful) effort to maximize use of interior space, which was a very big deal with European manufacturers back in those days, inclined as they were to stick with small cars that good gas economy while delivering superior value, utility and performance.

I mean, for example, look how useful the '02 trunk is. Lotta room back there.

And that back seat - not terribly useful for adults, I'll grant you, but I put a lot of miles on my '68 1602 as a family car, back in the day, when my two boys were small.

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

Guest Anonymous

The design is actually quite bold because BMW designers did not try to be trendy and aerodynamic, but rather used their already successful form-follows-function NK design and let their successful technology be the key to sales. The "Whispering Bomb" was the result. The boxy design became cool as the '02's performance became street talk, and the hot topic of car magazines.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

They are instantly recognizable as 2002's. Just like the original VW Beetle, the shape defines the car.

469875-500-0.jpg

BMWVisionaries.jpg

469867-700-0.jpg

The slim pillars, the two-box body, the delicate wrap-around trim and the minimalistic interior all point to an "econobox" for most folks. It's the fantastic drivetrain and driving experience that sucks you in to owning one of these fabulous cars. And I never thought I could afford another bottom-hinge pedal car like my VW (a Porsche is still on my wish list).

The Datsun 510 body is very similar to the 2002, but just how many do you still see on the road (other than CA)?

pics102509026.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Don't sell the 510 short. They are in Very Short supply partly because they were such a POPULAR race platform. Dedicated racers bought every one they could get their hands on in the 70's 80's and 90's.

Paul Newman liked the "dime" as well as the Z cars enough to invest lots of money into the race program.

419bd6c7.jpg

Jim Gerock

While the Datsun 510 is equally boxy, it has no style when parked next to an '02. The two get compared to eachother, but I'd never go for the plain, cheap-looking 510.

The Datsun's seemed to have cheap build quality when compared to the 2002's. All you have to do is close the doors and hood. I still like their looks and tunability though.

Jim Gerock

You can't denigrate the 510 in comparison to the 2002 when you consider the retail prices of each at the time. The BMW was a lot more money. A lot more money bought you something that was not necessarily better, but had more substance.

Part of the expense of owning a new car usually entails taking better care o it. This is part of the reason why older, formerly expensive cars like Mercedes and BMWs proliferate the roads more than Fords and Toyotas of the same vintage.

'O=00=O'

Long Live The Legend.

This1964 3200 cs by Bertone, which was introduced in 1961, had many design elements you can see carried over to the NK, 2002 and the coupes. I think Bertone was more interested in design than aerodynamics.

3200csrearvalance.jpg

3200cshood.jpg

3200Bertonescpillar.jpg

3200csand2002.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Yeah, the 510 was a lot cheaper to buy, I realize. (so they got beat to shit) If Paul Newman liked the 510, there must be something there, I admit. That being said, the 510 still does nothing for me.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Thanks for the comments, but enough about the 510. Didn't see that coming when I initially posted.

Someone touched on something earlier. The design of the front was to give the design a sense of speed standing still. That's quite interesting if that is really something they had in mind. Kind of cartoony. I know the hoffmeister kink gives a similar effect to the rear, but that's just a kink and not an entire side of the car.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot