• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Locked Only Trunk Key in My Trunk

aspire2002

I accidentally locked my only trunk key in my trunk. Just got a $225 quote from a locksmith and just wanted to double check there is no easier or cheaper way to get in there?

The car is a 69' 2002 and I believe all locks are original. I have the original BMW ignition key with a number stamped on it. Is there any way a locksmith can use that number or a number on my door locks to cut a matching trunk key?

Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help!

69' Colorado 2002

GTI MKV

http://www.lockpickshop.com/KWICKPICK.html

I have used one of these with pretty good results. (Dad lost his toolbox keys. :P)

I'd get one and teach myself to use it. Though you might want to check if it's legal to own where you live. I got mine from a Snap-On dealer.

As long as you don't need to use a lot of pressure to turn the key it should be pretty easy to do. (This is assuming your lock is like mine.)

'73 2002 in Agave

100_0778-1.jpg

Here is the trick to "breaking into" your locked trunk without the key.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,293689/highlight,trunk+lock+grommet/

Since it is a rather early car I believe it has the triangle holes in the trunk firewall corners... You may also be able to fish the key through them if you remove the back seat. If your key is an original steel one it is magnetic and you may even be able to easily retrieve it with a magnet.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

This method really works. Problem is you will never lock anything of value in your trunk again. Get a 6-10" piece of 2x4 place on the trunk lock push like your trying to unlock. When the lock is pushed all the way in hit the other end of the 2x4 with a BFH. Start lightly. If your familiar with the lock design the lock will bump out of the catch.I have done it alot and never damaged lock,paint or body work. This method works on all early BMWs

Do you have speakers installed in the parcel shelf? if so take one out and reach down and get the key. A lot of our cars were victims of the eighties and had 6.5 inch speaker holes cut in them, look under the parcel shelf and see if speakers were once there and the holes still exist.

74 Golf

I will absolutely let you all know what happens. My plan is to work on it this afternoon/evening.

My car does not have speaker holes cut in the parcel shelf, so unfortunately I can't use that method. My plan is to try the 2x4 method first. If that does not work, then my mechanic friend has offered to try his his quick pick tool. If that does not work, he is going to help me remove the back seat and fish out the key. If that is unsuccessful, I will likely call the AAA locksmith; I thoroughly appreciate Tom sharing his tried and true method, but I am feeling some internal resistance to drilling a hole in the car.

Thanks again! I will post the end result asap.

69' Colorado 2002

GTI MKV

I have a spare trunk lock in good appearance and working order if you need to destroy the one you have.

You would need to have a key made (cost me $12 to do this last Oct.), but the code is stamped on the lock cylinder. You need to unscrew the end piece and remove the outer tube, then you'll see the lock code #.

Oddly enough, I had a locksmith make me a key using this code and the code also cross-referenced to an early VW Golf/Rabbit/GTi/Jetta ignition key in the locksmith's database. So, if you have an early VW Golf/Rabbit/GTi/Jetta, try it's ignition key and it may work.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

the code is stamped on the lock cylinder. You need to unscrew the end piece and remove the outer tube, then you'll see the lock code #.

Oddly enough, I had a locksmith make me a key using this code and the code also cross-referenced to an early VW Golf/Rabbit/GTi/Jetta ignition key in the locksmith's database. So, if you have an early VW Golf/Rabbit/GTi/Jetta, try it's ignition key and it may work.

Cheers!

That's good info. I'm going to get that number so I have it on hand in case I lock my keys in there.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.