• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bathtub Piston

jherko

Looking for a single mahle bathtub piston, standard bore 88.97mm, weight group +. I have a set but my number 2 cylinder is showing some wear while the others are in good shape. Would prefer to find a mate rather than replace them all, but will consider sets as well.

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

'73 2002 MegaSquirt in Restoration Since 2004

'71 & '74 2002 Parts Cars

Well, if you want a "bathtub" piston, I presume you want Tii, 9:1 c/r. (Maybe Ti 9.3, but you'll never find those.) Otherwise, isn't a 'flat-top' for the 121 head the goal?

mac.

Some say 9:1, some say 10:1, I guess the best is to give the measurements...

Top of pin to top of piston (excluding raised bathtub portion): 31.10mm

Piston length (excluding raised bathtub portion): 80.08mm

Overall length (including raised portion): 85.45mm

Height of bathtub: 5.37

Inside casting marks: 89V3V1+ and CO21

post-17579-13667621137331_thumb.jpg

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

Mysteries suck!

I can't match your measurements to anything in the MAHLE catalog.

How 'bout a pic of the dome on the top of the piston.

The crosshatching on the side of the piston has me wondering too. Neither the MAHLEs nor the K&S I have on the shelf have that feature.

Let's keep looking.

mac.

Those pistons have been knurled... That is what creates the crosshatch pattern on the sides. Quiets piston slap down quite well...

Damn I really need to read more slowly... "that piston has been knurled" Are all of your pistons knurled like that?

Regardless.... Measure you cylinders carefully.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

You definitely need to measure each piston and see how the skirts measure up compared to each other and while your are at it measure the ring gap too. The reason the pistons were knurled in the first place was that there was likely too much piston to cylinder wall clearance.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Definitely NOT 9.0:1.

Looks like you have some original bore, 10.0:1, MAHLEs that have been cut for a non-stock cam of higher lift (pistons have been cut for valve clearance).

Now, what's with the brown colored "box" around and above the pin?

Let's keep looking.

mac.

Definitely NOT 9.0:1.

Looks like you have some original bore, 10.0:1, MAHLEs that have been cut for a non-stock cam of higher lift (pistons have been cut for valve clearance).

Now, what's with the brown colored "box" around and above the pin?

Let's keep looking.

mac.

Thanks for all the help Mac (and KC). These came out of an engine running a 301 cam, so that explains the clearance cut. Given that they are knurled and some what of a rarity, I think I'm gonna post them for sale (rather than find a mate) and replace the set with some new ones from Ireland, rebore, etc...

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

NO, NO, NO!

Before you go off and order some cheap shit pistons from some California poser/manufacturer, consider spending a few more bucks and phone Rob Torres at 2002 Haus and tell him you want that set of second oversize MAHLE 10:1 121 head pistons he has on the shelf (I know he's got 'em! Don't accept "No." for an answer). They might be one of the very last sets of 10:1s in existance.

mac.

OK, now you can thank me.

".......... do it right or don't do it at all................."