• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone help me diagnose this sound?

B-Doon

Hello all,

I have a 01 Honda Civic. It has developed a nasty noise coming from the front suspension. I can't quite put my finger on the cause. Listen/watch the video I took moving a slow speed in my parking garage at work. There is a sqeaking sound that occurs both when the wheel is turning, and when I go over a bump...

I have been told the struts leak a little, but would this be the cause. I've jacked up the car, the wheels seem 'tight' with no up/down or side to side play. The cv boots and tie rod end boots are not torn. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Brian

72 inka

and a crappy 01 honda civic

Hard to tell, but check to see if something is stuck between the front brake rotor and splash shield (or caliper). I had a stick jammed in my Honda's front rotor that drove me crazy until I pulled the wheel.

When was the last time the pads were changed? Could be the tabs on the inner pad are telling you they are thin. Does the master cylinder reservoir seem low on fluid? This is another sign you need brake work.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Well, the pads are relatively new (3 months) I've taken the pads out several times trying to diagnose the noise and found nothing caught. The brake fluid is dark and low, and I'm planning on flushing it VERY soon. ALso, I noted that the dust boots on the calipers are torn...I'm planning on changing those too. Could the torn dust boots be the issue??

Thanks

B

Well, the pads are relatively new (3 months) I've taken the pads out several times trying to diagnose the noise and found nothing caught. The brake fluid is dark and low, and I'm planning on flushing it VERY soon. ALso, I noted that the dust boots on the calipers are torn...I'm planning on changing those too. Could the torn dust boots be the issue??

Thanks

B

Sounds like you need some brake work. Reman. calipers might be cheaper than trying to fix the old ones. How do you rear brakes look? (drums on DX & LX - discs on Si and sometimes EX).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"