• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter noise....

dp2002

Tried to search first, but no luck, so help is needed.

I want to know if I need a shim for this starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380188260628&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

It is making some noise when I start, but it works. Makes a grinding noise like gear grinding.

TIA

1971 BMW 2002-Chamonix

http://whitey02.blogspot.com

I have one of those sitting on my shelf for the exact same reason. Check the length of the bendix, or the length of the housing around it. I bet you find it's shorter than the stock starter. Upon initial install of mine, I turned mine over a few times, and heard a nasty sound. So I took it back off & found it trashed 3 teeth on my flywheel. The bendix on mine doesn't go over the flywheel far enough.

The seller I bought mine from "starters-alternators" on ebay, would not return my calls, or emails. It was some women working out of her house. (and English was not her 1st language.) I see she's still at it.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Esty. Does your work fine?

mine work perfectly

it's disappointing to see the problems with the starters...i've never had any problems...i also bought a hi-output starter for a 57 ranchero and it's been going strong without any problems

i'm not absolutely sure after taking a 2nd look that this is the same ebay vendor that i bought from...i couldn't find the old auctions, it's been a few years ago...but i think it's the same vendor