• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do Alfa guys think they are better than us?

twinturbo

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/146132-gtv-vs-2002-a.html

One reason I lost interest in all those Alfas I had. They seem to live in thier own little La la land. No wonder thier cars are almost extinct like dinosaurs.

I love the comment someone said that he wants to buy a 2002 as a beater so he's precious GTV wont get door dings.

Have you seen the prices on old Alfas?

My first car was a '74 Berlina. My second car was a BMW. That was in 1984, and I've been with BMW's since.

The beauty of the '02 is in it's utility. On a recent vintage rally, we did the 250 miles over the back roads and dirt roads and such with much exuberance. Sure, the Alfas did the same, most likely faster in many areas. However, that evening we put six adults inside my 02 for the 2 mile jaunt down the street to the pizza place. I'll take my clown car any day. One car can do it all. As he said- he wanted a beater 2002 so his GTV wouldn't get dinged. That's the key- the 2002 could take the abuse and keep going.

BTW- I liked the one Alfanatic that mentioned about how the BMW had a steel oil pan, while the Alfa had an aluminum sump. What he failed to remember is that because of that alloy sump, many Alfa owners opt to add a steel sump guard.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

A stock 2002 was not as sophisticated a machine as a stock GTV, and the much cheaper price reflected that fact... It was an excellent selling vehicle for BMW, but it was not faster or better handling, and certainly not better breaking than a GTV...

Well by reputations Alfa's sure are better at breaking, heh.

Let me see...a BMW 2002 came with a steel engine block and steel oil pan, single overhead cam and a 4 speed gearbox. The GTV came with an all alloy motor with finned alloy sump, twin cams with adjustable overlap, and a 5 speed gearbox. The GTV is clearly more of a high end auto...

Also having done quite a bit of mechanicing on both, the BMW is much easier to work on in a sort of adjustable wrench and vise grip way, whereas on the Alfa, it helps to have a fine set of tools and some more well developed mechanical skills. The BMW 2002 is sort of the jeep of sportscars, whereas the Alfa is sort of a baby Ferrari.

I've haven't that sort of fan-boy-ism since I left the honda forums!

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

... One reason I lost interest in all those Alfas I had. They seem to live in thier own little La la land. No wonder thier cars are almost extinct like dinosaurs...

The rivalry and bickering between BMW and Alfa Romeo owners / drivers / racers is nothing new. It has been going on for decades but it has never stopped me from enjoying either one of the brands. Even deep down I am a BMW guy, I do love my Alfa Romeo's.

post-1349-1366762139815_thumb.jpg

post-1349-13667621399937_thumb.jpg

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

We invaded the local Alfa gathering in Eureka Springs this past fall during the "True Friends" Fall drive. Most of the guys were pretty cool. There was a hint of arrogance on their part...but we all had the satisfaction of knowing our cars would get us home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I love the comment someone said that he wants to buy a 2002 as a beater so he's precious GTV wont get door dings.

He really meant to buy a 2002 so he has a car to drive while the Alfa gets repaired or is broken down.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

... One reason I lost interest in all those Alfas I had. They seem to live in thier own little La la land. No wonder thier cars are almost extinct like dinosaurs...

The rivalry and bickering between BMW and Alfa Romeo owners / drivers / racers is nothing new. It has been going on for decades but it has never stopped me from enjoying either one of the brands. Even deep down I am a BMW guy, I do love my Alfa Romeo's.

Those are beautiful!

2002's are only "cute".

FAQ Member # 91

I've got a neighbor that has an old Alfa. I've yet to go down and talk to him, but he never drives the damned thing. He lives on a court that runs about 5 houses deep. He drives it from his end of the court to the corner and back once every 2 weeks. I can hear him start it religiously every 2 weeks, but that's the most I have ever seen him drive it. 6 houses every 2 weeks. Waste of a car IMO.

edit: I love Alfas, don't get me wrong, but a car was meant to be driven. That's my only problem. If I'm gonna own a car, I wanna be able to drive it.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

Everybody always thinks they have the best car (or boat, house, stereo, bodily member, etc.) in the world, and will find articles to support that. They can gather together and support one another in their judgements. We're no different...

I've seen the same on the Miata forum, the Yamaha forum, the Subaru forum, the aquarium forum, and even the Dodge K-car forum...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Your kidding right???

A K-car forum, what next a Pacer forum??? What could you possibly have to talk about.

Here ya go! http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showforum=26&s=74266b642702bb4d3121bfc86a456055

I frequented it when I had my $300 Dodge Shadow convertible, while living in Hawaii. Sure, it was a piece of crap. But it was a cheap convertible, and I needed help fixing stuff that went wrong. I made it into a rock solid reliable car... despite having known far better cars.

There are some members of that forum though that think of the K-car as the best car out there, and stockpile them just like we do.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser