• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

project car maybe?

astreronaut

hi i am new to these forums and i want to fix my dad's 1972 bmw 2002. the body has much work to do as well as the interior but for now i am focusing on the engine. i want to completely take out everything and put replace anything and everything i can. my dad said that the brake fluid is leaking as well but he doesnt know where. does anyboy know how much would it cost me to put a whole knew engine in? here are some pics of my car.

http://pbckt.com/sf.9v

GO SHARKS!!!!!!

need new calipers for my 1972 2002.

Howdy and welcome..

I guess it depends on what you want.. I'm sure others will chime in here, and a search will give you plenty of results.

Is the thing going to be a driver? A garage queen? If you pull everything out and start a major "resto", then unless you're MADE of money and/or own a body shop and/or tech shop, you're looking at several YEARS of not having an 02 to drive around. (Ask me how I know).

Matter of fact, I ended up getting a bucket 02 to just "drive" while I finish with my long-term project.

That one looks pretty decent. Might just want to fix little things here and there while you drive it around... You could even get a funky parts car and pull the engine, building it up on a stand. Then when your engine build is ready, you pull and swap (which would be a good time to paint the engine bay). Then you can start the outside bodywork and paint.

Just thinking out loud. Good luck and welcome!

Cheers,

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

no i do not have any experience. Am i screwed? haha.

Haha I had the same idea as you. I hate to be a dream killer but I thought it was going to be pretty easy but its not. My 02 runs well "ran" until i just messed it up yesterday and I did little things to it mostly the interior because its tough to do mechanical thigns even with good tutorials when you dont know much. If it runs or it wont take much to make it run maybe just play around with trynig to get it to run well but I wouldnt take everything out the engine bay etc unless somewhere around you can help and has TIME.

What I just told u is what came up in my head right when I read your post.

Goodluck

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Yeah my dad knows alot about the car cuz it's his. He'll be around to help once and awhile. But I don't want to always rely on him the whole way through. I just bought the chiltons and that book kinda expects you to know some stuff. I'm gonna get the haynes because ppl in these forums say it's good. I wanna get the cd but I can't find a cheap one.

GO SHARKS!!!!!!

need new calipers for my 1972 2002.

Best advice I received when getting into 2002's..

"Get it running and drive the crap out of it." What that means is this.. Fix it as you go. And as you become in tune with the car it will tell you what it needs.

From there, this is what I have learned..

Just start with a detailed de-grease of the engine bay, then the front suspension, then the rear suspension. Memorize every inch of it. You will be surprised how much you can learn just from spending time cleaning the car. Then after, when you are reading up on ideas you have, you will recognize and know exactly what is being referenced.

You should absolutely make it your goal to keep the car on the road at all costs. Each project should take a weekend or less until you get to the larger projects like rear suspension rebuild, motor, etc. But I repeat, KEEP IT ON THE ROAD AT ALL COSTS. Small projects first and progress into the larger as you go.. More project cars fall to the way side and get dumped (and the car wasted) because the ambition out weighs the $ or patience.

Other than that, Dig in and have a blast! It looks like a good starting point. You are fortunate to inherit a 2002!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Guest Anonymous

Do not give up. from the looks of it the car is ok shape. this forum has a lot good info download all you can. Keep it running at all time and you can fix and learn as you go. if you really want to do engine rebuilt buy second block and build from there you be amazed how much you learn from that .

good luck and keep on driving