• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a creative use for the snorkel tube?

ClayW

Guest Anonymous
I just connected it direct to the exhaust manifold.

Must clean up the engine bay when I get home!

Makes perfect sense! This way you can monitor the health of your engine by viewing the exhaust - up close and personally. Added benefit of scaring oncoming vehicles and wildlife. Why go to the expense of installing that complicated system of mirrors or power robbing closed circuit video?

As for other creative uses, A pencil holder? Fresh cut flowers? marvel Mystery oil cup holder? If I park the car at the edge of the driveway with the right grill removed, the mailman can drop the mail off there. Why not ask if there are creative uses for the tops of the control arms or what interesting things can I place on my dash board? There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp pilaf, shrimp mignon, shrimp . . .

I don't use the stock air cleaner on any of my 02s.

Why not. Without it, you give up both the cooler intake air as well as lots of filter area.

I've never seen an aftermarket air filter for BMWs that had anywhere as much filter area as the stock, except maybe ITGs.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I don't use the stock air cleaner on any of my 02s.

Why not. Without it, you give up both the cooler intake air as well as lots of filter area.

I've never seen an aftermarket air filter for BMWs that had anywhere as much filter area as the stock, except maybe ITGs.

A fair point. Adapting the Weber to use the stock air cleaner is really the best way to go.

Incidentally, I'm planning on converting my next 02 (in search of it now) to an early-E21 manifold EFI setup. Not sure what I'll do to filter that air, but routing it over to the tube might be a bit of a stretch.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Anyone know of a 'cold air' intake and filter for a downdraft carb? Here's a shot of my first attempt...now i need to find a suitable air scoop to put on the front side of the snorkel, and maybe make a filter box...

I would rather use a stock filter, but i can't imagine it would fit with the strut brace, and the worth of that far outweighs the stock filter for my car.

bob

post-2049-13667621895363_thumb.jpg

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Isn't that kind of loud? ;^)

Maybe I should have re-phrased that,

It's connected to the exh manifold heat shield, as it was originally with the summer/winter box that used to be attached to the snorkel.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I'm thinking something with the intake manifold and a bong

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I'm thinking something with the intake manifold and a bong

If I'm imagining the configuration correctly, bong top to snorkel hose to intake manifold. Serves 4.

A single barrel SoulX connected to the snorkel hose might make it easier to carb, though I suspect if you've got the fuel to feed a four-banger, carburetion might not be a concern.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Yes well perhaps it is in the 2002's destiny to be a cool-looking package that houses a reefer delivery device. The "anyone have a creative use for the snorkel tube" was only the rain that awakened the long-dormant, uh, seed...

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)