• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kugelfischer pump question

Henryn02

The K-pump has been stored for at least fifteen years. Do I have it rebuilt? At present the car/engine is not ready for it to be installed so I can't test it.

It came with an Alpina A4s injection sytem so I am wondering if it has already been rebuilt/and or modified since a Bosch tag replaced the triangle shaped logo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. How else could I tell if it has been modified.

Henry

Guest Anonymous

I purchased one of the last ALPINA A4 pumps directly from ALPINA in the mid 90's, had a BOSCH plaque on it in lieu of the Kugel plaque. Tell me what the numbers are and I will check some info I have to see if they match. Probably a good idea to have it checked by someone (whether Wes Ingram or someone else). GUS at PFI gave my ALPINA / Schnitzer 20-4 race pump the once over.

Guest Anonymous

I do somewhere (non digital currently). Need to scan and come to think of it would be a good add for my Blog.

The ALPINA part number "was" 9999940, the number on the "BOSCH" plaque

is ........ PL04-129.10.725 (purchased in 1993 for $2,225 - wife never knew, would have divorced me if she did, pretty serious coinage back then).

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/

The ALPINA part number "was" 9999940, the number on the "BOSCH" plaque is ........ PL04-129.10.725 (purchased in 1993 for $2,225 - wife never knew, would have divorced me if she did, pretty serious coinage back then).

That number's familiar, for some reason.

I actually have that one Mark and one I bought of German eBay that allegedly is an ALPINA pump, too. I can check numbers, but do you have a series of numbers or something? Or should I just have Gus check it out?

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

SOT:

i have the KF Pump as supplied with the original Turbo. It came with the A4 system i bought last year. I was told that it has a different fuel curve than the stock KF, not to mention the rather large appendage on the aft end.

i'm torn whether to use it as is (if indeed the fuel curve is different and beneficial for the A4) or offer it for sale to the Turbo crowd and just have a stock KF Pump rebuilt.

btw, i recently got my A4 system returned from Harry Bieker Engineering in Oregon after 7 months. nice eye candy. i sent it back however to have him Cd-plate the bits-n-pieces. hope i don't have to wait another 7 months. he was able to eliminate the grotesque weld-blobs and mangled throttle shafts that were on this set with new similar-looking pieces, that were probably what Alpina used back in the day.

now i just have to restore the rust-bucket POS car this will go into. :-(

can anyone offer a comment on the Turbo KF vs. stock KF for the A4 setup?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Turbo Pump isn't going to work right (or quite right) with your A4 system. Just me, if I were you I would off the Turbo Pump to someone and take the proceeds and forward them along to Gus at Pacific Feul Injection and have your stock pump matched (or rather made into) an A4 spec pump. Of course you really only need to do this if you are running a 300/304 or some other cam. Much discussion about this in threads, Michael D, Inkatouring etc., all have loads of experience and thoughtful input. I had a factory large bearing 300 cam in my tii with A4 system so I am partial to that arrangement (and of course that is the way ALPINA did it as well).

SOT:

i have the KF Pump as supplied with the original Turbo. It came with the A4 system i bought last year. I was told that it has a different fuel curve than the stock KF, not to mention the rather large appendage on the aft end.

i'm torn whether to use it as is (if indeed the fuel curve is different and beneficial for the A4) or offer it for sale to the Turbo crowd and just have a stock KF Pump rebuilt.

btw, i recently got my A4 system returned from Harry Bieker Engineering in Oregon after 7 months. nice eye candy. i sent it back however to have him Cd-plate the bits-n-pieces. hope i don't have to wait another 7 months. he was able to eliminate the grotesque weld-blobs and mangled throttle shafts that were on this set with new similar-looking pieces, that were probably what Alpina used back in the day.

now i just have to restore the rust-bucket POS car this will go into. :-(

can anyone offer a comment on the Turbo KF vs. stock KF for the A4 setup?

As Mark said, it depends on the cam. Almost every A4 I know of with a 292 runs a stock pump. My car has a 304 and Mark's old ALPINA pump. If I did not have that pump, I would just use a stock one tweaked. ANd I mean tweaked, not even rebuilt. I mean, you can talk to Gus as Pacific Fuel Injection and see if he can rebuilt to A4 spec, but that involves getting a new 3-D cone and I'm skeptical they are available in ALPINA configuration.

I do have a second allegedly real deal ALPINA pump that I might sell if you're interested, Jerry. If so, we can take it to Gus and verify what it is first......

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

What about Wes Ingram rebuildings? I'm thinking of sending him the pump for rebuild. He offers tii street pump and High performance pump? I guess the HP pump have specs similar with the A4 pump, isn't it?

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

Hi,

Got a photo of the plaque? Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Thanks,

Jason

Mine doesn't say Bosch, uhmm, that may explain a thing or two... it came with the A4 system from Germany and works adequately well, but not perfect... back to tuning....

FAQ Member # 91

Guest Anonymous

Michael, I am guessing the pump you have may not be an ALPINA pump (and by ALPINA pump I mean that ALPINA provided Kugelfischer or Bosch the spes by which to make the pump to, its not like ALPINA was making pumps in house), the only way to know for sure is to have it tested. As I recall the Bosch pump had a slightly different body than the Kugelfischer pump body's (not sure that fact is of any particular significance), and as inkatouring the only real difference is the "cone" inside. It seems to me that you have your A4 syestem about as dialed in as one could and as previously mentioned it seems that you can make a stock pump work with up to a 292 cam (probably not ideal with a 292 but workable). You have big trouble trying to make a factory 300 or 304 Schrick work without the proper pump (lean running). All this A4 talk is making me want one!

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/2010/02/alpina-a4-multiple-butterfly-fuel.html

Guest Anonymous

Need a new freaking keyboard - I never make this many typos! The text of my post above was supposed to be ....."ALPINA supplied the specifications to Bosch or Kugelfischer and then they were manufactured by them - ALPINA wasn't in the pump manufacturing business" or something like that.