• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race car cockpit preparations

002Racing

I am interested in seeing how others have finished the interior of their race/track cars. If you wouldn't mind sharing please post photos showing your roll-cage, wiring to rear of car, race seat brackets, fire extinguisher, paint, switch consoles, etc

My interior is almost stripped down. I have the following questions for the forum;

1/. Should I preserve the original wiring/fuel line tabs along the rocker panel (on both sides) or cut off and replace with a more professional-type race-car wiring/fuel line tab system. Would it be better to run all wiring on the passenger side along with the fuel lines – or is that a no-no?

2/. I assume that the rear seat support is good to go – no future need.

3/. Need to know how race seats mount into the body – do the original seat bracket stay or go?

4/. Rear seat back bracket gets cut off.

5/. Should the (4) drainage holes plates get glued or riveted into place?

6/. Seat belt brackets – any future usefulness (ie. roll-cage mounting, etc)?

I am really looking forward to seeing pics of your work and feedback.

cheers,

post-16944-13667622091693_thumb.jpg

#0 Know your rules. Rules may limit what stuff you are allowed to remove. Next comments are just my own opinions that may not be the best or allowed solutions in your case.

#1 Remove and use some better mounts without sharp metal edges. Routing by center tunnel is easier and more safe.

#2 Good to go.

#3 Normally useless.

#4 Yep.

#5 Wouldn't want them fall off.

#6 No. Normally they are on wrong place for race harness.

Here is my racecar project. Probably something totally different than your class. Very interested to see other racers. Please post pics and let us know how it goes on.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,269120/

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Tommy, thanks very much for your comments. See pic of the progress – removed the rear seat support, a few other bits and continued to detail clean all seam sealer, glue, etc. Good news is that I am totally rust-free!

Your car and workmanship is very impressive – thanks for the link to your build. The rulings for your (SCCA?) monster are definitely very different then that of the vintage racer I am aimed towards. You are very correct in mentioning "know your rules" – my intended series of VARA and SVRA have their own regulations to follow.

I didn't see in the pics of your car how the race seat mounted to the floor – did you create new seat mounts? I am considering keeping these but adding some strengthening supports. Any thoughts? Would like to see pics how others have properly installed race seats.

Also, is there an ideal steel type, gauge and diameter of tubing to be used for a proper welded-in roll-cage? Light-weight and strength is the obvious goal.

post-218-13667622347922_thumb.jpg

I follow FIA safety rules and class rules that are quite special. I'm in Finland Europe, you see :-)

I have aluminum angle mounts like the ones usually come with race seats. I have made mounting points at rear to level the floor. Front is right on floor strengthened with welded plates . Problem with original mounts is that the seat would be pretty high. Somebody might like it but I have mounted mine as close to floor as possible.

Perhaps you should introduce your project on the main board and maybe find someone who has experience in your class to give better advices.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

racing class rules are usually VERY specific with exactly what the cage is supposed to be made out of....what metal, how thick, how many bars and where it can touch the car. read rule book very carefully for all safety related items. cage, harness type, how/where harness attaches, seat type, seat certification, seat back brace, window net, right side net, etc.

2xM3