• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 backup car value?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thinking about buying this 1975, auto, as a backup/parts car.. the car drives but needs a complete tuneup as been setting for about 4 years. The seller gave me what I think is a good but wanted to ask the experts as to what would be a good fair price to offer? Thanks

Edit: (I'm not an expert...wait for C.D. to chime in and then multiply whatever he tells you by four) :]

Looks too nice to be a parts car. The pictures are not very big so I can't see rust, but the early alloy wheels are probably worth $400 or more if they are not bent, curbed, and can be refinished. Depending on where you are in the country, a "driver" class car like this in decent shape could bring $3,000 +/- By the time you replace brakes, fluids, tuneup, carb adjustments, you might have another $500 into it. Buy it and please don't part it out.

Ben

3kb3me3pc5T25Pb5R9a34027cd09bdb1e109c.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

As one who's been driving the same ' 75 automatic for the past 28+yrs. I offer the following:

Body looks straight, but check for rust in rockers, rear shock towers, and anywhere else that it might be prevalent. Where has the car spent it's life? If in salty areas, I'd be careful (Both of ours have always been in Southern Arizona).

Seats need some attention, but that's no biggy. How is the cars mechanical condition? (Can you post a pic of the engine compartment?) See if you can find out how many miles are on the automatic tranny - they can go out at anytime after about 130K, though some go much longer.

If rust is not a problem, and the mechanical condition is fair-to-better I would think the car is worth $4-5K.

Bob Napier

post--1-13667622093945_thumb.jpg

good rims if not bent or beads are not corroded

and not holding air

interior is SHOT

window and door seals SHOT

if you can't take it for a drive right now?,

brakes don't work?, cooling system leaks?

over heats?, smoke coming from electrical system?

automatic shifting poorly or not correctly?,

you getting the picture?

it needs restoration to make it safe FIRST

do you think $3000 in parts to make it safe, IN ADDITION

TO WHAT EVER YOU PURCHASE IT FOR MAKES SENSE?

got a FAT wallet ?

go for it.

have fun.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thinking about buying this 1975, auto, as a backup/parts car.. the car drives but needs a complete tuneup as been setting for about 4 years. The seller gave me what I think is a good but wanted to ask the experts as to what would be a good fair price to offer? Thanks.

Idecided to get the car & fix it up. Thanks for the advice.

Good on ya for deciding to buy it. I don't think you'll regret it (don't know about a "significant other" who might become jealous of the time you spend with your new "friend" though).

As I mentioned above, I've been driving my ' 75 automatic for over 28 yrs. and do nearly all of the work on it and my wife's ' 76 Pastellblau automatic, that she's been driving for 12 yrs. and still gets a couple of compliments a week on her car from total strangers. Use this board for any questions or feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

Bob Napier

r.napier@mchsi.com

$2000 is pricey for an '02 that's not been getting much love recently. Biggest clue = the destroyed driver's seat. Nobody's gonna drive around with their butt hurting that badly! Predictions: lousy brakes, very old tires, mushy shocks, brittle window seals, electrical gremlins, leaking fluids, worn out slushbox, destroyed tie rod ends, worthless bushings, brake master cylinder shot.... etc. Bring an '02 expert w/you when you check this one out. Maybe it DID get some love and the owner just likes sitting on a sad excuse for a driver's seat!! ( I do love those wheels. )

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I just looked at a 74' or 75' auto in Boise ID. This car has factory sunroof and new paint, Sharp car. The Fella wants $3500 for it. I'll take a pic of it for everyone too check out.

Carefull there chat. I looked at a squaretail in boise that fits that description recently that didnt pass the magnet test to say the least (BONDO EVERYWHERE). Could be a different car but there arent alot of 02's in Boise.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import