• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30?

JFT

One gathers from reading here that a number of folks run E30s. Interesting, handsome cars, says I, and I'm more than a little interested. So here are a couple of questions for anyone who might care to respond:

How do the E30s compare to '02s in terms of maintenance and upkeep?

Ease of owner tuning and servicing?

Thanks in advance.

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

How do the E30s compare to '02s = NO ONE SAYS HELLO TO YOU

EVERYTIME YOU STOP FOR GAS OR DONUTS - e30 IS 75% LESS FUN

TO DRIVE

in terms of maintenance and upkeep? = 50 LBS MORE ELECTRICAL

SYSTEM/WIRES/RELAYS/MODULES/WINDOW REGULATORS -

MORE STUFF TO STOP WORKING. EVERY OLD BMW NEEDS

$$$ THROWN AT IT OFTEN

Ease of owner tuning and servicing? = VERY EASY FOR THE GIFTED,

MISERABLE FOR THE WEEKEND HACK, TONS OF PARTS, AND AFTERMARKET STUFF FOR THE SERIES -

BEST OF BREED IS 318is, 325ix, 325is, and M3

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

that's a bit extreme don't you think?

I just sold my e30 and have owned 2 others before it. They are very easy to work on and modify. The electrical is a good buffer between the '02 and the e36 rats nest. I've never had any horrifying electrical gremlins that weren't fixed by a relay or control unit. They are fun to drive and toss around corners, especially with the right suspension setup. Replace the timing belt/water pump and you will have a nice reliable daily on your hands.

As a daily driver I would prefer an E30 over an 02 every single time.

The only thing the 02 has going for it isn't mechanical in any way, it's just a feeling you don't get with the E30.

And that's why you don't toss it on the scrapheap if it leaves you stranded on the side of the road when some impossible part has fallen off.

But a good E30 is a lot of fun to drive and more comfortable in every way, except for visibility (from inside the car, the 02 is just a big glass bowl)

They're not really complicated to work on (you usually have a lot more room than in an 02) and in many ways constructed a lot better/smarter than the 02 (which is no real surprise, the e30 design is more than 15 years younger)

Parts are usually easier and cheaper to get as well.

Bottom line: drive both and then decide if you're willing to live with the 02's faults compared to it's 'feeling'

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

We have four of them in the family. Buy a 325 "is" and change the timing belt and water pump. Lots of used parts are available. With Snow tires and 200# of sand in the trunk, they go well in the winter. Automatics don't have half the responsiveness of the 5 speeds. We get 28+ mpg. The M3 is way fun but the '87 isn't bad either. The 89 is automatic and a wife/daughter car at our house.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Twin turbo, what side skirts are those?

I second the 318is. One year car here in the US and quickly becoming hard to find as prices rise.

Here's mine in winter trim.

DSC_0088.jpg

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

i have both an e30 and an 02. and let me say for simplicty the 02 rocks! the fuel injection to me is a bunch of unecessary crap!!! i an finally getting the hang of where the shorts are and the car is making more sense...

as for fun and drivablity the 02 out shines my 318i. however i do have way more supension on the 02 than the 318i . all in all i would say the 318i is a more complicatied 02 with out the style and pizazz(sp?)

but if you are wanting to get into late model bmws the 318i is probably as basic as you can get in the world of computer controlled FI.

got bolts?....well i sell them...ask me how....

bimmerboltsandparts.com

75 2002

88 yamaha ysr50 (street)

88 yamaha ysr50 project

94 jeep yj

84 318i

I've had 3 E30s...6 if you count the parts cars. They are not that difficult to service but there are so many more complicated systems to take care of. If I had the money to pay a tech to take care of mine I'd have kept them all. They are solid cars but lack the simplicity and tactile driving experience that keeps me on the 02 kick 16 years after I caught the fever. Oh yeah...have fun with the power window repairs.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

the e30 with a twin cam swap and good suspension is tough to beat. i will build another and im sorry i sold mine. i just bought a 91 318is to play with,.. now just to get it home

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

That's great. Next time I come up there, I'll bug you to let me drive the 318is! We are overdue to head up there & see our good friends in Coon Rapids. (& good friends like you)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

This discussion has taken place in the past on this board, and the same stories keep coming back. A lot of it is subjective.

I have owned over a dozen E30s and currently have 3.

I have also owned 2 dozen 2002s in a wide variety of mods applied.

As a daily driver, the E30 is far better than the 02. The worse he weather, the better the E30 is, with wipers, defoggers, heaters and air conditioners that work far better.

Fun to drive? I have a 91 318is with suspension mods which is a total blast. It's more fun than my stock 74. But my 69 track car is way fun too. And now it has an M20... watch out. Oops. That's an E30 engine in a 2002. But a tii with urethane, Bilsteins, sticky 15 inch tires, Recaros, LSD and a few other goodies can not be duplicated by any E30.

E30 are very reliable, in M20 or M42 versions. The M10 is a little too weak. The s14 is in a league of its own including value. Stay away from automatics and the ix is only recommended in the snow country. 2 and 4 doors are the same size, parts are plentiful and cheap and junk yards are loaded with them. Interestingly enough, I don't seem to see many of them on the road anymore. I am even starting to see the occasional nod from other fellow E30 drivers.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

i had a alpine white 318i. loved it! if you are not a complete hack you can do all the work yourself. my car 318i was just as much fun to drive as my 2002 is now and i have to say i enjoyed having a few more modern comforts such as a better heater and an air con. there are a ton of parts and a ton of mods for e30's and they have a huge fallowing.

i will own another one soon. i miss my 318.

IMG_0282.jpg

the day i killed it. yeah i was driving like a dumb ass and i could still kick my self in the ass for it.

IMG_0385.jpg

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

That's great. Next time I come up there, I'll bug you to let me drive the 318is! We are overdue to head up there & see our good friends in Coon Rapids. (& good friends like you)

Come on up!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades