• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Driving school experience!

jgerock

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Birmingham, AL where my wife and I enjoyed my cousin's wedding AND I attended the Porsche Sport Driving School at the Barber Motorsports Track.

I got to drive 2009 911 Carrera's, Carrera S, Boxter S, Cayman S, Cayenne S and the new Panamera Turbo.

Our class had 23 people including (3) father/son pairs and (2) women. We split up into (6) groups and drove the cars for (2) full days.

The school included driving on a wet skidpad, autocross and hour-glass courses along with the fantastic Barber Motorsports track with 2.38 miles, 16 turns and over 80 feet of elevation changes.

We also drove the Cayenne S (SUV) on an off-road course. At the end of the 2nd day, we took turns riding with the instructors on the track in the 911 Turbos, Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo. I have track video and will add it here it I can figure out how to transfer the files from the USB thumb drive.

Hope you enjoy the pics

FirstdaywithCarrera.jpg

March4and52010009.jpg

March4and52010004.jpg

March4and52010011.jpg

March4and52010003.jpg

Here is my "team": Jim P., me, Preston and Michael

March4and52010026.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

More pictures

385HP Carrera S with PDK transmission - FANTASTIC!

March4and52010024.jpg

Boxter S (drove both the PDK and 6-speed versions)

March4and52010017.jpg

Panamera Turbo

March4and52010016.jpg

March4and52010015.jpg

Panamera engine bay

March4and52010032.jpg

Day 2 in classroom

March4and52010014.jpg

March4and52010013.jpg

Part of off-road course

March4and52010018.jpg

March4and52010019.jpg

March4and52010023.jpg

Jim Gerock

Here is proof that even Porsche drivers aren't perfect when it comes to an autocross course. You can barely make out the cone wedged under this Boxter (not me!)

March4and52010010.jpg

All the skid marks in the pits and around the track were from practice sessions for the upcoming Indy car race in April. A company from Texas was there setting up lots of temporary grandstands, tents and new fences. http://www.barbermotorsports.com/events.php

March4and52010012.jpg

There were billboards along the Interstate advertising for the race and of course "See Danica!".

See here for an interactive track map http://www.barbermotorsports.com/flash-map.php

Jim Gerock

you dog! you didn't say you were going down there for track time! nice!

now you have to bring the 02 to summit point! :-)

Marshall -

The school was last year's bday gift from Susan - put it on your bucket list.

No race license yet.

Jim Gerock

i am hoping to be scaring, ah, er, i mean showing competition students the summit point line and passing techniques in my 02 in 10 days. still got some work to do on it, but it is almost there.

you can post your video to vimeo.com and put link here.

2xM3

i am hoping to be scaring, ah, er, i mean showing competition students the summit point line and passing techniques in my 02 in 10 days. still got some work to do on it, but it is almost there.

you can post your video to vimeo.com and put link here.

Great video with you battling the white M3 - up until the point where it sounds like the exhaust came loose :(. What the heck happened???

Jim Gerock

Man that's bad assed Jim. That looks (and sounds) like it was a hell of an experience. Offroad? I can't friggin' believe it!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©