• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT- how to tell if you're getting too pissy to use a 2002

TobyB

...wow, talk about a support group!

I was expecting to catch hell for going soft...

began to long for things like airbags and fuel tanks that reside under the rear seat

that's really it.

I had a cock in a very pretty Maser try to hit me at

a 4- way on the way in to work this morning. Cock or not,

that very pretty nose would have nestled right in my lap. In an e36,

probably not so much so.

We've got a few other 2002's- I think maybe something with airbags

and some structure might be in my near future.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get tired of driving the same car after a few days and rotate my fleet. I have 2 2002s and they feel very different. I drive the 72 Mini for a few days the switch for no reason to whichever one I am in the mood to drive and after the mini they all ride like a Cadillac.I rotate in the GMC truck when I need to haul something. I have owned several E30s all 325i cabrios and a nice e36 M3 a Corvette convertible and probably over a hundred other cars, but the best car I ever owned and my favorite that I would never sell is my beater 1973 Ceylon 2002tii. The is just sometime about the way it drives that I love. I hope to put the 1970 Cuda convertible into my rotation the summer. I guess my point is that if you drive any car all the time you are bound to get tired of it.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

I do the same thing. I drive three different cars during the week. Start with my 1976, runs ok, then my 528, its fine, very comfortable, then my favorite ride ever, 1972 tii, very quick and tight, I like that. When rains (almost all year here in the Seattle area), i drive my Grand Cherokee. The only reason I do this is because I get tired driving the same car all week, plus i dont like to leave my cars parked for long time.

As, getting frustrated with the 02's, I see it as part of the 02 culture. Almost every day i do little things for them. I like to expend time on my "garage shop". My wife one day caught me talking to "Rufus" my 1967 NK 2000. Oops! No good.

GO 02

Oswaldo

1999 BMW 528i (daily driver)

1976 BMW 2002 (in love with police motorcycle)

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

For you guys with a "fleet" of cars, here's a question:

If you had one (1) and I mean, ONLY ONE motor vehicle to drive every day -- year 'round -- including haul things, work vehicle, take the kids to soccer practice, vacation trips etc., etc.

Would it be a 2002?

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

As I've mentioned before, I've been driving and maintaining the same ' 75 Chamonix automatic for over 28 yrs. Love driving it every day (it now has 362K miles) and I've tried to keep it perfectly maintained. When anything needs attention, it gets it. I don't believe in "if it ain't broke, don;t fix it", 'cause if it breaks there's a good chance things connected to what broke will also be damaged or broken.

I keep maticulous records and when it's time to service or replace something I do. Car has an excellent stereo (with Sirius, so I can listen to my jazz), very adequate A/C (even here in southern Arizona with 100º+ days in the summer, car is quiet, no rattles, lowered springs, 19mm bars F & R, HD Bilsteins, 195/60 Falken Azenis' on 14 x 6 Ronal V2 wheels (NLA for the past 25 yrs) painted to match the car, so what's not to like.

Everytime time I have to help fix something on one of the BMWs my son has owned (' 92 525i, 2000 328i, 2002 Dinan Stage II M3, and now an '89 M3 ) I just am so thankful how easy it is to get to and fix things on the ' 02 .

I've been on several

Got interupted and couldn't finish on the previous post so:

I have been on many trips in the ' 02 of 1000 to 1500 miles, and would not hesitate to leave on another today.

My wife's ' 76 is similar in all respects (but only has 120K miles) and she's been driving it daily for the past 12 yrs. A week never goes by that she does not come out to find admirers around her car, or comes home with tales of compliments.

I have no desire to move into any other car.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667622310714_thumb.jpg

We all of course have different situations. I am and older guy with no wife and my kids have their own 2002s, so I can drive anyting I want. I have thought about when I get older and someday decide to cut down. I would give the Barracuda to my son, sell the Mini and the truck just keep the 2002s. I have always been very lucky with cars, so I really never have many mechanical problems. I just rebuilt the engine in one of my 2002s and put a 5 speed in and I think it will last as long as I do. My mother is 92 and she wanted my last E30 a black convertible, so I gave her that one. She doesn't drive anymore,but find someone to drive her when she want to go somewhere. I can live with only a 2002 no problem.

Photobucket

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

If you had one (1) and I mean, ONLY ONE motor vehicle to drive every day -- year 'round -- including haul things, work vehicle, take the kids to soccer practice, vacation trips etc., etc.

Would it be a 2002?

D

no...that would be the 97 M3 sedan. at home on track or street. commute or dinner out. long trip or run to starbucks. 4drs and fold down rear seats mean i can put a stack of 2x4's from homer depot in it and still close the doors. the perfect car. i have owned it since new and will probably never sell it.

but thankfully, i don't have to be limited. i like the full quiver approach. gotta have options! (see sig below)

2xM3

I'm in the same boat as many of you. I have two '73 Tii's and both are different enough to be interesting but truth be told I ask myself often why I own two of the same basic car. One is my daily driver the other works fine but has been up on blocks for 6 months while I work on general things on it.

2002's are fun to drive alone but horrible with passengers in my opinion. And I worry about parts availability, getting hit, what needs to be worked on, etc. Good thing I've gotten over any need to worry about door dings even though I still don't like to get them and park accordingly.

Since both cars have emotional attachments to the family it makes it even more difficult to consider "letting one go".

I guess I can say that 2002's mildly define me and I hate the thought of letting them go because of it. But I'd love to get something else different and wish I didn't have the 2002 "baggage" sometimes.

I understand where you are coming from.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Would it be a 2002?

D

I wouldn't DD one on my 02s, I beat on a Volvo wagon. It's great in the snow, I can haul A LOT of junk in it and it's kinda fun to drive.

When I'm out for fun or don't have to haul something I take one of the 02s.

On Sunday I asked my son if he wanted to go to the play ground, of course he said yes. Then I asked which car he want to go in, he picked the 72 tii. It's fun to share the love with him!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

I have to admit I was gonna get one car I would drive the family 1994 Chevy 3/4ton w/ the 454 and 4wd. Main reason is because I can haul anything with it, put 6 people in it, drive it sporty (amazing I know!), and it's actually a really nice highway rig! It does everything I need. Right now all I got is the 02 and I will admit, everyone and a while I get fed up with it but I just look at it as if I didn't have this I would have another old car with just as many problems, so on that note I would keep the 2002.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

You guys go on to your other rides and all- just more 2002's available for me hahaha!

Seriously though for me pre kiddo- 2002 every day no problem. Try fitting a child seat in the rear of the 02 and lifting a kid into it and a sleeping child out of it. That is enough for me to change. I drive the nissan equivalent of a landcrusier- older style unstoppable diesel with mfi- no mystery electronics. I don't even change the oil myself- just use the damn thing. I have no attachment to it- its not cool in any way. Coil springs make for a decent ride and the axles are big fat unbreakable things. It may get stuck but you'd have to try to break it. The 02 is now just for fun- until the kid moves out anyway.

If I did not have a kiddo and I lived in the states I'd have at least one 02 and some form of truck. My 89 nissaan is the newest car I've ever had.

'Fraid that hits the nail on the head. You really can't live without a pickup truck. OK so many people can, I'm just not one of them! They haul people and gear, are nearly indestructible, and when properly equipped are actually lots of fun to drive, in a different sort of way.

Ordinarily I hate listing out all the rides, and it seems pretentious at most times, but in this thread I think it adds relevance.

BD

'76 2002

'03 RAM 3500 4*4 Cummins Quad Cab LB (@500+ HP Diablosport)

(Seriously 20MPG around town and 23-25 on the road to Whistler)

'05 HD RoadKing Custom

'07 HD Dyna Low (The 'ol Lady's bike)

'05 X3 (The 'ol Lady's car)

'07 125cc Track Magic Shifter Kart (FOR SALE)