• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Blanks

MikeD

I have gotten a few blanks from http://www.key-men.com/shopping/show_cat.php they can also cut to code sometimes.

I remember that BMW stopped cutting to VIN/code for '02s a while back but that may have changed again. It's worth an inquiry at your local dealer. If they say no, make them put in a request in with BMW-NA sometimes they start doing things again if there's enough interest!

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Guest Anonymous

Just a note: I bought 2 from Steve, they are fine...but I could not find a single locksmith in town that would cut them.

They are too hard, they said.... Would damage their machine. They instead supplied another key of their own (no BMW logo but looks the same) that works perfectly well, presumably not quite as hard a metal... As a result I got a spare key.... and 2 unused brand new blanks somewhere... I'd send you one if only I could find it....

I make no promises, haven't seen them in a while ;-)

PS: maybe my locksmiths are sissies, who knows... only reporting what I've been told, I have no expertise in key material!

Some will.

For the OP, Tweed's in Portsmouth VA will cut steel blanks.

http://find.hamptonroads.com/tweeds-locksmith-inc-portsmouth-va.html

Well, they're in the same state anyway :-)

IMG_0788.jpg

Cheers,

Ray

Just a note: I bought 2 from Steve, they are fine...but I could not find a single locksmith in town that would cut them.

They are too hard, they said.... Would damage their machine. They instead supplied another key of their own (no BMW logo but looks the same) that works perfectly well, presumably not quite as hard a metal... As a result I got a spare key.... and 2 unused brand new blanks somewhere... I'd send you one if only I could find it....

I make no promises, haven't seen them in a while ;-)

PS: maybe my locksmiths are sissies, who knows... only reporting what I've been told, I have no expertise in key material!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.