• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel hub feels too long?

Chris_1602

Really? I have normally used spacers to get wheel closer on 02. Maybe you should just let it be for a while and try to get used to it. You know that the correct driving position is when you have 90 degree angle at elbows.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I second what Tommy says, it will probably take a bit of getting used to but it's better positioning. People too often slide the seat as far back as possible and reach really far to the steering wheel, that's not what you want to be doing. Works fine with modern cars that have so much power steering you can drive with a pinky, even then it's still bad positioning.

I bought a 90mm offset steering wheel to go with my momo hub on my project car and I'm looking at making or buying a spacer, or a steering wheel QR to bring the wheel back probably 4-5" compared to stock. I'd go further if I could, maybe when I get a steering quickener.

unless you have orangatang arms.... seat back should be adjusted to have wrists rest on top of wheel with arms fully extended. any further distance back than this and you cannot safely control the car.

at the other extreme, you should not be able to touch the wheel with your elbows...unless you only turn left at 175mph or your nickname is "grandma".

2xM3

i installed an unknown brand hub that came with my alpina 4 spoke steering wheel. I just felt it too long that's really uncomfortable. Would a Momo hub fit Alpina steering wheel?

I think the Alpina wheels available in recent years used Momo hubs. Hope someone will correct this if not so.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Really? I have normally used spacers to get wheel closer on 02. Maybe you should just let it be for a while and try to get used to it. You know that the correct driving position is when you have 90 degree angle at elbows.

Tommy

90?? That's Nascar driving.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Guest Anonymous

Tommy

Sorry Tommy, but having elbows at right angles is only part of the story. Hint: I can grab the headrests with my elbows at 90 degrees which means I could be facing rearward with my arms overhead and still meet your test. LOL

Driving position differs from car to car. Seating position in my Alfa is far different than the 02 or my kid's Citroen. A lot also has to do with the position of the shifter too. I have seen one 02 that was modified so that the steering column and wheel actually dropped about an inch. I think the car had been modified to accept the adjusting device from a 5 series. I only remember that someone asked the driver about it and he said he did it because he could.

I have a few different wheels and yokes/hubs. The 350 mm Momo Monte Carlo feels right. The Petri steering wheel is too close to the turn signal and light stalks. The Dino Steering wheel to too far away from the signal but I could probably get used to it. I have not hub lengths, but there are clear differences. Steering wheels are also different. Some are on the same plane and others are dished enough so that they might be a few centimeters closer to the driver or the Grandma.