• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braking Bad: An Audi 5000 investigator on Toyota prob

f1reverb

Full OpEd piece at link . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11schmidt.html?pagewanted=1&ref=opinion

"I looked into more than 150 cases of unintended acceleration in the 1980s, many of which became the subject of lawsuits against automakers. In those days, Audi, like Toyota today, received by far the most complaints. (I testified in court for Audi on many occasions. I have not worked for Toyota on unintended acceleration, though I did consult for the company seven years ago on another matter.)

In these cases, the problem typically happened when the driver first got into the car and started it. After turning on the ignition, the driver would intend to press lightly on the brake pedal while shifting from park to drive (or reverse), and suddenly the car would leap forward (or backward). Drivers said that continued pressing on the brake would not stop the car; it would keep going until it crashed. Drivers believed that something had gone wrong in the acceleration system, and that the brakes had failed." . . .

I was waiting for some media outlet to bring up the audi 5000...poor car, the beating it took for a problem it never had...

You said it J. I've been wondering the same thing.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Poor car?! LOL...Audi 5000's were CRAP! Poor pedal placement was ultimately decided to be "involved" in the Audi sudden acceleration issue. Audi took a beating for that for sure...5000's needed to be stacked three deep in piles waiting for the crusher anyway. Rotten cars they were.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Poor car?! LOL...Audi 5000's were CRAP! Poor pedal placement was ultimately decided to be "involved" in the Audi sudden acceleration issue. Audi took a beating for that for sure...5000's needed to be stacked three deep in piles waiting for the crusher anyway. Rotten cars they were.

C'mon Skip - tell us how you REALLY feel about the Audis (LOL). Not even any love for an old Quattro or newer S4?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm actually ok with newer Audis in the styling and drivability depts.(especially from an employment perspective too!) but I'd never buy one over a comparable BMW or MB. But those old 5000's...Wow! An upscale VW Quantum. Scary

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©