• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matte or semi-gloss paint jobs

MAD02

Does anyone have any photos of matte painted 2002s? Im going to do some body work this weekend because my wife told me my car looks like a total POS (and she's right!) and its time for paint. Ive decided to go the Rust-oleum/Krylon paint (please dont flame me!) route because Im on a very tight budget and Ive visited other car forums and the cars look decent. Thanks.

I want this color...................

bgtyujnbvcxse.jpg

My wife wants this color.....................

ian2016-1.jpg

Anything is better than this!!!!!!

mammoth086.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

....even if you paint it to your wifes choice (not bad by the way)

she'll still think it's a POS without an interior

best of luck

p.s. GLOSS

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Not too far off from my old 1600 with the black Cromodora wheels. And no, that is not faded Golf, its faded Maisgelb.

I did a rattle-can job on my 1800TI and turned it into a decent 30-footer. It had plenty of surface rust and a red trunk when I started. I had no illusions that it would be very nice, I just wanted a single color. Good luck with your decision.

Karl

post-8428-13667622441178_thumb.jpg

post-300-13667622445409_thumb.jpg

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Some advice....

1stly I feel your pain man, my paint was soo shot for soo long I finally couldn't take it any more.

2ndly if your paint isn't too far gone already you can always order color matched rattle can. These guys carry our colors http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

However, note that stuff doesn't cover very well if you've got a lot to paint, like a whole car.

That being said, go to Harbor Freight, spend $20 for a spray gun to hook up to your aircompressor. Then head to your local auto paint supply shop and pick up a quart of paint, plus clear and reducer.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Total cost is around $200 tops, and you end up with a decent paint job if you prep well.

Of course metallic is harder to do as mine got sunk in the paint, but overall I'm happy with the results.

BD

IMG_1814.jpg

Do the yellow. It hides imperfections and wont stand out much as a non-automotive color.

Prep the body nicely, and lay some rustoleum.Better to use gloss, that way people wont suspect of the deed. Gloss may fade in a year or so, I dont believe that it's resilient to UV rays. Some buffing will bring back to life again.

Let us know how it turns out.

68' 2002 DD

Yours could be a Brother to my "Da Beater".

It too started out Verona (still is on the inside). Rattle can Flat black with a sorta kinda shiny white roof.

No one parks next to it at the supermarket!

post-8428-13667622451277_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Some advice....

That being said, go to Harbor Freight, spend $20 for a spray gun to hook up to your aircompressor. Then head to your local auto paint supply shop and pick up a quart of paint, plus clear and reducer.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Total cost is around $200 tops, and you end up with a decent paint job if you prep well.

Of course metallic is harder to do as mine got sunk in the paint, but overall I'm happy with the results.

BD

Its not that easy to make it look good with a harbor freight gun and paint is getting damn expensive these days. I doubt you could do it for $200 without getting really low quality paint. I dropped $300 just in primer and they wanted another $500 for paint. I ended up putting some rattle can rustoleum flat black on it, it took 5 cans but I think it turned out good from 20ft. I painted my truck with a harbor freight gun and cheap paint and it looks like crap. I would do some good prep work and use a rattle can, then when you feel rich one day do it with some good stuff. I will post pictures of my 2002 when the rain stops and its light out

Nothing wrong with rattle cans, Rustoleum is a pretty good paint for outdoors, just make sure you sand and neutralize that rust. Also, buy one of those attachments to mount on top of the rattle can, so you can grip and spray like a pistol grip, instead of just pushing with one finger. Start laying it dry and let the number of coats wet it, to avoid runs. Depending on the body work, it should look good from 20 feet, or about the distance to the kitchen window :-(

Duplicolor sold at Kragens, also makes car paint in spray cans, their metallics lay down pretty good.

My first paint job: a 63 bug in 1980 - rattle can baby blue. Impressed the hell out of my girl friend - she married me!

Wheels painte with Duplicolor:

Italian beauties

FAQ Member # 91

I just did my airdam flat black, and if my car wasn't inka I would totally do the whole thing!

b5is5u.jpg

Also, some guy over at bimmerforums has a pretty awesome matte back/primered 02:

4107944821_0b7d749492.jpg

Hope this helps!

Its not that easy to make it look good with a harbor freight gun and paint is getting damn expensive these days. I doubt you could do it for $200 without getting really low quality paint. I dropped $300 just in primer and they wanted another $500 for paint. I ended up putting some rattle can rustoleum flat black on it, it took 5 cans but I think it turned out good from 20ft. I painted my truck with a harbor freight gun and cheap paint and it looks like crap.

sure you can...my 76..painted 3years ago and my 69 sprayed last summer...both with a $20.00 harbor freight gun with paint from smartshoppers and autobody depot for around $50 or less per gal.

76 smartshoppers kirker brand paint....9ktkw0.jpg

69 autobody depot restoration brand paint....rear%2Bview.JPG

the end results are only as good as the prep and skills of the person behind the trigger of the gun....durability is in the quality of materials put in the gun

if you want a quick paint job, go to autozone or o'reilleys and buy a quart or 3 of the ready to spray acrylic lacquer...lacquer is about as foolproof as paint comes...it drys super fast...no special reducers or hardeners are needed and you'll get a matte finish out of the gun....for gloss coat with clear...it comes in a 1/2 dozen, ready to spray colors