• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 2002 lower control arm bushings

rock141b

okay guys, i'm gonna install another set tomorrow and i will document the setup i use. the new and improved ACME threaded rod, the thrust bearing, bailing wire and glycerine, although i may try the silicon grease since i have a tube of it and it's probably easier to apply.

keep the faith.

STAY TUNED.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

the new and improved ACME threaded rod, the thrust bearing, bailing wire and glycerine, although i may try the silicon grease since i have a tube of it and it's probably easier to apply.

This sounds like something from a BDSM video. :)

Bob Napier

well, i went to the effort of installing another set of bushings in a pair of control arms this afternoon, equipped with my camera.

the good news: i learned something. took many photos. was successful with the installation.

the bad news: i don't have my adapter cable to download the photos tonight.

what i learned: forget using glycerine. USE the silicone grease as suggested by another member. it works infinitely better and is easier to apply. i have a tube from Dow Corning used as a valve seal for laboratory glassware. i did not use spray silicone, nor would i recommend regular grease.

it is not necessary to tightly wind the wire along the bushing. i used a length of about 18-20 inches, just making sure that the distribution of windings was approximately uniform.

it is important to use the bailing wire used on rebar; anything thinner is liable to cut the rubber bushing during installation. you will have to pull hard on the wire as the bushing is installed, especially the initial windings. if you find yourself having to exert too much effort to pull the wire away, ease up on the all-thread puller somewhat.

Do grease the threads of the all-thread to help turning the nut.

Using a thrust-bearing is a GREAT upgrade, but not necessary.

Using ACME thread rod is a GREAT upgrade, but not necessary

use HARDENED washers, avoid common washers, too soft.

if you are so inclined, here are the McMaster-Carr p/n's

93410A120 (ACME threaded rod 1/2"-10) 6ft length $37.59

94815A107 (Plain steel ACME 2G Hex Nut 1/2"-10) Quantity 4 $2.44/ea

it's not necessary to buy the ACME threaded rod, but it sure is a nice upgrade and worth it if you will be doing this more than a couple times.

hope this helps. i'll add the photos to the OP when i find my camera adapter.....

btw, i had both control arms bushed and photos taken during the process in under an hour.

& 1 special alfa

i found the use of silicone grease and the use of a thrust-bearing with the baling wire to be effective.

it does indeed work.

sorry but i can not import photos for some reason anymore. i'm using a different computer with some weird freeware Ubuntu and it's pissing me off....

but that's all i have and i'm no computer geek.

& 1 special alfa

• 2 weeks later...