• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater valve

penth2o

there is no reason NOT to try to rebuild these before paying such a high fee for a new one.

i find the hardest part is merely getting those two steel machine screws which hold the cover off. i've had to thru-drill one once. i merely replaced with a small bolt. worked great and no clearance issue.

i dab a dollop of permatex flange sealant over those screws to prevent them from rusting.

useable 0-rings are found in the plumbing section of a well-stocked hardware store.

there was a time that folks broke open the heater box to get the coveted motor at the junk yard and left these behind with the heaterbox carcass. now it appears that this easily rebuildable valve has become the marquee item to find....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

IF- you are not a purist.... There have been several attempts to find a suitable cross-over part. I went through a parts site that listed at least 250 different valves of which at least 20 were very similar. I am sure there is a generic replacement that can be fitted with minor adaptations.

I agree on the rebuild first approach if the body isn't cracked.

Anybody out there have a cross-over part recommendation on this??

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I don’t need no stinking Fleabay at $334 a pop.

02heatervalves.jpg

Cool. I got a hold of a friend of mine in the city that does Jags & MGs. He had two of them. I forgot to ask if these were from another car or what but he took them

to his local Napa.

I have a friend that shuttles parts from the Napa’s in the cities hours away from me up to the northern Napa’s here & Traverse City.

Picked them up today. Bonus no shipping charges. Stuck them in his pocket. Gotta love that. Man, I am a cheap bastard…

Hell, for whatever I do next time I’m in the city (dinner with his wife or a case of his favorite brew) is worth polishing these up or rebuilding them.

I’ll take this anytime over getting boned on Fleabay.

100_0467.jpg

100_0466.jpg