• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost gas cap key

MikeD

I lost my set of keys to my tii and have been able to replace all but the gas cap key. I am looking for key number "C9". I have called everywhere and no one can find a #C9. Does anyone have an extra C9 or one that I could copy? Needless to say I cant get my cap off and will need to put gas in. Spring is right around the corner!

Thanks.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Hi Mike.

I have three or six locking caps. I'm still digging through shit and containerizing.

All I have are pics from my database right now so I can't see the key numbers. If any look familiar let me know.

Good point though. I need to put the key codes in with my data.

I have to hit the garages & get the right container codes so give me some time and I'll start digging. I’ll have them by tonight.

If I can help I will. I know I have a bunch of those locking caps somewhere but the three that are logged will be easy to get to as those three are organized.

God I have to get my shit together.

100_0463.jpg

100_9655.jpg

100_9406.jpg

I hate to admit this but, older keyways and the wafers (pins) used in these gas caps are usually so grimy and sticky that they can be easily picked by untrained.

If you are sure the way the cylinder turns to open (clockwise?), you may be able to use two straightened paper clips- one inserted into the keyway to "rake" the pins (rapidly) while using the other with a small right angle bend to hold pressure to rotate the correct way to retract the "bolts".

Give it a try, it can't hurt!

Best of luck - and I'll check my key code later today as well.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

no key ? drill 2 holes left and right and then two screw drivers take it off

that's what the dealer did in Germany in 1975

Better hope it doesn't spark haha.

Well ---- that would be one way to take the cap off.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Guest Anonymous

penth2o

The first one of your pictures is the cap. When you can see if the key is C9. It will say right on the key. As I remember it there were 4 possible keys that fit that cap. I appreciate your help.

Mike

penth2o

The first one of your pictures is the cap. When you can see if the key is C9. It will say right on the key. As I remember it there were 4 possible keys that fit that cap. I appreciate your help.

Mike

BMW CCA #23777

Your right it cant hurt to try picking the lock....If I cant find a key I will give that a try also...thanks.

BMW CCA #23777

Here's a link to one of the best descriptions I've every seen of "re-keying" by code number. This de-mystifies the process and makes it easy for users to make their own using the triangular file method.

My recommendation is - NEVER use or share the original with the keycode stamped on it. There are experts who are quite adept at "palming" or "waxing" keys and cutting trial keys from number.

Now all you need are the blanks and some patience - maybe a little skill as well, and practice.

I should point out that this works directly for actual key "cut" codes, but if it's a reference code you need to consult a manual for the cross reference to a cut code e.g. SX23 might = 3 1 4 5 7 6 2 actual cut depths.

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/keys.htm

and

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/keys/index.htm

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Hi Mike.

I figured I better do this now instead of later as I might forget or blow it off.

The set on the left does not have BMW printing on them. In fact there is no markings except for the number 507

The set on the right are two different brands that must have been remade. One is an ilco H5 1125H. The other is a Taylor 125. The back says "fits H6 125"

I have two of each so if you want me to send one for you to try and if it works you can get a copy made let me know.

100_0468.jpg

penth2o

Thanks for all your trouble. Now that I can see the keys up close neither look like the one that I had even thought the first gas cap in your pictures is like mine. If I cant come up with anything in the next day or 2 I might ask you to send one and I will give it a try. Thanks again for your effort.

MikeD

BMW CCA #23777

Ok, were cross messaging here. I was trying to upload the pic of keys.

The first pic of the cap that you say is it is the set on the right in my post above. The ones that were remade. Ilco & Taylor.

Email me with your address and I'll get one for you to try in the mail in the morn. If it works, make a copy. If not send it back please.

Joel

penth2o_2@charter.net

EDIT: Shit. still typing and sending & cross messaging. Ok Mike.