• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Make A Yugo Cool? Turn It Into A Book

f1reverb

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124631334

"How do you double the value of a Yugo? Fill the gas tank.

What do you call a Yugo that breaks down after 100 miles? An overachiever.

Remember the Yugo? Jason Vuic would like to remind you of its not-so-illustrious story. The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History is Vuic's book on the tiny, no-frills, breakdown-prone automobile imported from communist Yugoslavia in the 1980s that is better known today as a punchline than a piece of machinery that might (or might not) take you from point A to point Y.

Despite his book's title, Vuic says the Yugo is far from the worst car in history. There was even a time when the car ignited a sort of Yugo-mania in America. Between 1984 and 1992, Americans bought 150,000 Yugos — at $3,990, it was far and away the cheapest car on the market. " . . .

yugo_wide.jpg?t=1268430597&s=4

Just don't stop on the Mackinac bridge in Michigan.

My Cousin was on the dive team that pulled her car up. He told me you could actually see her shoe print in the rubber of the pedals.

In 1989, 31-year-old Leslie Ann Pluhar, driving a 1987 Yugo over the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan, was blown over the bridge's 36-inch railing by a gust of wind. The incident was widely publicized, with the make of car prominently identified. Mackinac Bridge Authority's chief engineer estimated that the car was exceeding the 45 mph (72 km/h) speed limit enforced on the bridge, though it was later discovered that Pluhar, concerned that the high wind could put her in danger, stopped the car. The act of stopping the car denied it of the downforce generated by forward motion, and this contributed to the light weight Yugo being blown off the bridge.

PicMich_Mac.jpg

said that was big news in Michigan at the time. He asked me what happened to the woman. Do you know? The only reason I mention Elmore is that he's Mr. Michigan (at least as writers go). That bridge features in his book (and movie I think) "Killshot."

From what I remember they couldn't find her at first as the currents took her body but was found eventually. If I remember right.

I also remember a guy driving a bronco off the side for a girlfriend or wife dispute.

That was the only two car dives of the bridges history.

Every Labor Day they shut it down for the annual walk across with some famed person. Few years ago George Bush attended and everyone were holding signs "JUMP GEORGE JUMP" Sadly he didn't.

You hear all kinds of stories of folks dieing or workers falling in the cement & never found but those are untrue.

Two guys died the first day on the job. One diver coming up too quick and .... I can't remember the other one. I would have to look that one up as I have pics of it being built & newspaper clippings and such.

I have an uncle that worked on it. He fell but the safety net helped save his life. It wasn't safety net like your thinking. It was chain link fencing and at the height he fell it busted him up pretty bad for a long time.