• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project B-ohM-W - Electric Conversion (Purists - don't look)

We've been working a reproduction Zender spoiler that we got from Dave at Aardvarc Racing. I think it would be perfect right out of the box for a flared fender car, but for mine, it required quite a bit of massaging to get it to look right. My best friend is a paint and body expert and put in many hours to get it to look right.

DSC03783.JPG

DSC037671.JPG

DSC03800.JPG

DSC03803.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Oh great, now you can charge your batteries with electricity that comes from a steam powered, possibly even a coal fired power plant that pollutes about 10 times as much as a typical car engine, runs at about 30% thermal efficiency at best of which 50% is lost getting the power to your house. Then you have a charger that's about 85% efficient, lead-acid batteries that are about 70% efficient and an electric motor that's about 80% efficient. I hope you are not trying to save money or have minimal impact on the environment. Just for everybody’s info, a modern gasoline engine has a thermal efficiency of up to 20 to 30%. An automotive diesel engine achieves up to 40%.

Now if you're just having some fun, I guess that's a different thing.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh great, now you can charge your batteries with electricity that comes from a steam powered, possibly even a coal fired power plant that pollutes about 10 times as much as a typical car engine

Now this statement I have a big problem with.

1. Where did he say he was trying to be efficient and pollute lees?

2. If he was trying to save money I'm pretty sure that he wouldnt have spent $10k+ just to do this... not including cost of rust repairs and a paint job for this car in the future...

3.Get a life.

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Oh great, now you can charge your batteries with electricity that comes from a steam powered, possibly even a coal fired power plant that pollutes about 10 times as much as a typical car engine

Now this statement I have a big problem with.

1. Where did he say he was trying to be efficient and pollute lees?

2. If he was trying to save money I'm pretty sure that he wouldnt have spent $10k+ just to do this... not including cost of rust repairs and a paint job for this car in the future...

3.Get a life.

Perhaps you should read my comments again, especially the last line.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's take it easy guys. I started this project blog to share my progress on my project. I appreciate all input/opinions/likes/dislikes but let's not get too personal - after all, it is just a car.

And yes, I did do the conversion just for fun. I like to tinker and thought it would be a neat project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great job! Can i place an order for a roundie?

just kidding...

but in all honesty, i'd much rather give my money to a great project like this vs an oil company...

When the charge can last all day, or over 200 miles, I'll start thinking about a conversion.

In other electric car news, keep your eyes peeled for the Nissan Leaf (at around $25k). it is supposed to set the new standard for electric cars...

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Cool project! Looking forward to range reports. 90mph huh? I think that's the top speed of my old worn out ICE in my '76. I saw your videos before you posted this here, linked on some EV forum.

Any insight into why you decided to keep the transmission instead of just using direct drive? Someone else brought up,"Which gears do you use?" and I'm also curious about that.

I'd love to have an EV 2002, mainly for tinkering like you. I just love the idea of electric cars. I won't be able to justify the expense until my motor simply dies, however. I would be happy with a 40 mile range and a top speed of 60mph for my first. I take surface streets almost always for my commute and I'm all over town (construction). I could recharge for 8 hours on 110V on all of our normal jobs that I can think of if the job was more than 20 miles away.

Don't listen to the "long tailpipe" haters, that argument has been debunked over and over. Even the US DOE determined that the pollution is less. There is not a single peer reviewed study I'm aware of that claims otherwise. It's not "nearly zero" like a lot of EV zealots would have you believe but it's less and more importantly the emissions are not concentrated in the urban center. Anyone who wants to argue about that, go ahead and email me, keep it out of his thread please.

It's not a 2002 but this guy's land rover should be darn cool: http://adventure-ev.com/ Drool over his batteries.