• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touring Owners beware

02Les

Got to love Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-BMW-2002-Touring-Gas-Pressurized-Compression-Spring_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cab339f58QQitemZ260570324824QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This part can be bought in a couple of places for $98.

It's $113 on Max's Site.

If the start off price was for two, then that would be different.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Oh for Pete's sake! Really? The part is new, not used. It costs money to purchase these parts, believe it or not. I have about an 85% more chance of selling this on ebay, than I have of selling it on the website. When ebay is giving '50% off' listings, I add things with better prices than I have found them while searching the internet (I haven't seen them at $98 however). If you haven't noticed, people are starting to use ebay to sell things that are new. It's a good way to get more people looking at your items. It's the law of averages, really. Ebay is still generally a good place to get a good deal on something that is USED. If you are looking for new, it's sometimes not the best place to look. You'll need to do a search through the internet, at other companies to find the best price.

Definitely doesn't warrant a 'beware', as far as I can tell. I'm really not trying to 'stick it to' anybody. Our prices are fair, and cheaper. If you can find it at a better price, then buy it, or ask if I'll go lower.

Sorry, I had to say something, cause this post didn't really seem fair!

Thanks,

Alexis

www.vintageBMWsource.com

Oh for Pete's sake! Really? The part is new, not used. It costs money to purchase these parts, believe it or not. I have about an 85% more chance of selling this on ebay, than I have of selling it on the website. When ebay is giving '50% off' listings, I add things with better prices than I have found them while searching the internet (I haven't seen them at $98 however). If you haven't noticed, people are starting to use ebay to sell things that are new. It's a good way to get more people looking at your items. It's the law of averages, really. Ebay is still generally a good place to get a good deal on something that is USED. If you are looking for new, it's sometimes not the best place to look. You'll need to do a search through the internet, at other companies to find the best price.

Definitely doesn't warrant a 'beware', as far as I can tell. I'm really not trying to 'stick it to' anybody. Our prices are fair, and cheaper. If you can find it at a better price, then buy it, or ask if I'll go lower.

Sorry, I had to say something, cause this post didn't really seem fair!

Thanks,

Alexis

Perhaps "beware" was a bit OTT.

Whilst I realise that $98 + shipping would be the same as your $110, well.....my point is, your $110 is a starting bid in an auction.

If you wish to sell it for $110 & free shipping then why not do so, and not list it as an auction.

check the link below and insert the part # for a price on a NEW part.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=26

Les

FAQ Member #17

Hi. On a listing, the reason that it's done that way...as a listing, and not a buy it now, is because ebay has gotten WAY out of line, with the fees they charge. It would cost me much more to add it as a buy it now, then to add it as a listing (especially when they give the 50% off deals, which only apply to listings). I already know that it won't go over the amount I listed it at, so I don't have any false hopes, in that respect.

I really do not like ebay at all, especially lately, however, the fact is, they are still the best way to get your product marketed. Lots, and lots of people use it. So, they still get my business. On some of these items, after you add in the cost of listing the item, the cost of the final price of the item, the cost of paypal fees, and shipping fees (cause it costs money to buy boxes, and packing supplies), you sometimes come out even (I've actually been dumb enough to have to pay for an item I've sold...but that's another story). It would be nice if somehow someone could come up with a better alternative. Ebay's taken away everything that ebay was supposed to be...does that make sense.

Anyway, I do understand your frustration, but do realize that some of us do have a reason, for what seems like our insanity.

Thanks, Les, and hope you're doing well.

Alexis

www.vintageBMWsource.com

Hi. On a listing, the reason that it's done that way...as a listing, and not a buy it now, is because ebay has gotten WAY out of line, with the fees they charge. It would cost me much more to add it as a buy it now, then to add it as a listing (especially when they give the 50% off deals, which only apply to listings). I already know that it won't go over the amount I listed it at, so I don't have any false hopes, in that respect.

I really do not like ebay at all, especially lately, however, the fact is, they are still the best way to get your product marketed. Lots, and lots of people use it. So, they still get my business. On some of these items, after you add in the cost of listing the item, the cost of the final price of the item, the cost of paypal fees, and shipping fees (cause it costs money to buy boxes, and packing supplies), you sometimes come out even (I've actually been dumb enough to have to pay for an item I've sold...but that's another story). It would be nice if somehow someone could come up with a better alternative. Ebay's taken away everything that ebay was supposed to be...does that make sense.

Anyway, I do understand your frustration, but do realize that some of us do have a reason, for what seems like our insanity.

Thanks, Les, and hope you're doing well.

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

I understand a little more now. Thanks.

I agree Ebay is not a patch on what it was a few years back. I guess I still look at Ebay as an auction house where I hope to find a bargain, but it is slim pickings now.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but with the current exch rate, W & N are selling these for $55 each (40.34 euro). I know......shipping from Germany!

Have a great day, as mine, over here, is finishing.

Les

FAQ Member #17