• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Presentation and LSD upgrade question

R1190

Hi everyone,

This is Pepe de la Parte, a BMW enthusiast that lives in Spain. I own a BMW 2002 Turbo and two e28s: M5 and 528i Sport. There is no need to mention that the one that I like the most is the 02 Turbo. You can see two of my cars at http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=7898 and http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=5884. It is a long time I am suscribed to this forum but it is the first time I post on it. Sorry for being late, but better late than never.

I have said that my 02 Turbo is the car that I like the most, but it is also the car that requires more attention. I participate with this car in regularity rallys in Spain and Portugal. 6 months racing and 6 months preparing the car for racing. During this winter season I have decided to raise the front spoiler a little bit since I cannot stand to sweep roads for free. The second major action is being to fix the LSD because the LSD effect is gone.

I have read many posts about LSD differentials. Most of them have been very useful. However there is one question I have not had any answer in previous posts of LSD differentials. Here is my question.

The LSD of my car is the 40% ZF that was standard equipment for Turbos. I have been said that upgrading LSD from 40% to 75% is more than adding one frintion disc. However, the temptation of just adding friction discs is so simple that I would like to know if you have succumbed to temptation. What has the result been? As easy as it looks? Reliable?

Many thanks for your help. Pepe.

6aaed65bc2f1acb66a1008348de6843a.jpg

13cadb49702fdd84cf27cd65dc082d7f.jpg

IMG_1282_40.JPG

I've a friend who is going to help me do this, but it's probably going to be a "this winter" type of thing hopefully. We've got a few Diffs we want to rebuild for our 2002's and E9s. He's done it quite a bit. I will watch your thread hoping to see what others post, but if nothing becomes of it, I'll make sure to post the procedure we follow when we do my 2002 and E9 Diffs.

Oh yea, and welcome!

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

NOt sure. You might try asking you question of Dave Varco at www.2002parts.com Dave rebuilds diffs and may have answer for you. I'm sending my 3:36 to him this week for rebuild. My turbo is currently running an open 3:45

what do you use the car for? street? track? if for street, you don't want a 75% lock up lsd. it will be a bitch to turn, park, etc. if for track only and you know how to handle that much lock up, go for it. more lock up is not always better with diff's.

i have one of daves 3 clutch 50% diffs. great on track, a little extra effort on street.

2xM3

what do you use the car for? street? track? if for street, you don't want a 75% lock up lsd. it will be a bitch to turn, park, etc. if for track only and you know how to handle that much lock up, go for it. more lock up is not always better with diff's.

i have one of daves 3 clutch 50% diffs. great on track, a little extra effort on street.

Thanks for your wise advises. I use the car for regularity rallies. I am going to install two extra clutchs and check results. If it is very hard driving, I will eliminate one clucth and so on.

By the way. Ramps of this diff are 30 degrees. Does anybody know what ramp angles of original 75% 2002 diff were?

Thanks, Pepe de la Parte.

IMG_1322_rampa_30.JPG