• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Tii Mystery

JimH

I hate to say it, being in the middle of the "80/20" '72 tii resto ...but

If you pay a reasonable price for a running, repainted tii like this say maybe dunno $4-5K and then put in another $10K you still will have only one half the car you could have by taking that "Schwartz Edition" off that guys hands in Colorado (see the long thread in the for sale section) for what he's asking.

Don't get me wrong or think I have buyers remorse but take a good hard look at my "rust free" '72 that was stored in a dry, heated workshop under cover for 20 years and sleep on it.

The powder coating bill on this alone will run $1500. I have spent more than 5K in new parts from Bell & Blunt, and I already have a warehouse of parts .

As an example of the fun you can expect: BMW is actually paying the body shop 4 hours of labor to correct the new front panel it shipped us which must have been assembled by a drunk wielding a tack welder. Not that the panel that was there was too bad - but if you want perfect and not bondo - well you have just made (another) $600 decision.

post-1429-13667622927321_thumb.jpg

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Black Baby is a truly beautiful automobile. It brings the 02 to a whole new (34 year old) level! I don't meed a vehicle THAT perfect... maybe just close...lol.

I definitely hear what you are saying... A project of your magnitude can run your life and your finances.... and free time can be very hard to come by...

Thanks for your thoughts...

Cheers Big-Ears! :)

Jim Hinkley

Perfect IS good enough.

Jim, you asked if there were unique features on the early tiis. I recently sold an early '72tii and I'm sorry I let it go, though it seemed the right thing to do at the time. Like any 2002 mid-'72 or earlier, bodywise, the bumpers are tucked in closer (pre-2 1/2 mph) which does give the car a unique look compared to the later ones. Mechanically, the early tiis are the only ones with the combination of the 121ti head and the big (46mm) intake valves. If memory serves me correctly the horsepower specs are in fact a bit higher than for the later E12 equipped tiis. The early tiis had the plastic intake plenums which I believe were more leak-prone than the later metal ones.

You asked if you might be better served by buying an already sorted out car. You will ALWAYS be better served by buying an already sorted-out car, but that doesn't stop most of us. If you WANT to go through the process of (call it whatever you want) sorting out, personalizing, restoring a car, that's understandable, but go into it with eyes wide open; everything will cost you much more than planned.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

My list of bimmers that I have owned includes a '72 '02 rustbucket, an Inka '73 that I saved from a basement in Montreal and rebuilt in '82/83. Drove that one for 15 years, and a '73 Riviera Blau that I drove for 10 years. That car was nearly rust free but needed an interior when I brought it North....also had a '72 Bavaria for 10 years or so.

I have a very good idea what to expect regarding restoration... and need to think realistically... I have nurtured a bunch of old bimmers and they have treated me very well over the years. I'm just hoping to take my BMW hobby to the next level, have fun, and not go broke in doing it...

I do love those early/close bumpers from the '72s and particularly the euro style ones. Having never owned a square tail light '02 I can say that they do look nice, but don't really excite me like round light cars do. Like I said previously, I like old things... antiques I guess, and would rather restore / preserve than modernize. I guess I'm sort of a purist in that way. Unfortunately, one with a limited budget.

So, I'm going to check out the photos of that early VIN car, and if it's just too far gone, I'll keep on looking for the right car to come my way.

I'm still very curious about the strange history of 'Ol #2760051.....

Jim Hinkley

Perfect IS good enough.

Jim -

You are like me. I'd like an early tii (or ti) someday. Good luck on your search and purchase of a suitable car. Keep in mind that someone else's "restoration" has many different meanings. I'm finding out many little things about my tii that only you can bring out from asking previous owners.

So far, I've found out:

The nose on my car was replaced a long time ago (no snorkel!) due to a hard front end collision (left front).

New front fenders (no side marker lights) fitted at the same time.

Rear trunk lid is from a 74+ car (has holes for roundel).

There is welding along the framerails (but both are solid).

Rear differential had chewed up spider gears.

Under dash contains parts from different year Roundies.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have a couple of 72tii's. One that is getting done now is proabably going to be about 40K all in but a tii automatic. I have an Inka #18 that will be an M2 conversion with an S14 and a dogleg 5sp CR box.

post-1429-13667622952018_thumb.jpg

post-1429-13667622953274_thumb.jpg

post-1429-13667622954424_thumb.jpg

post-1429-13667622955586_thumb.jpg

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

If I remember correctly, VIN 2760018 (mo's72tii) was manufactured 20th Oct '71.

If 2760051 (a later VIN) was manufactured 1st Sep '71 then there is another mystery.

US tiis were manufactured from Aug '71.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for the post Jim. Like most of the guys out there. I have always had to use the best parts that I had available to me. I've been known to use earlier bumpers on my first '73 for instance. I installed a crack free one piece dash in the '73 Riviera Blau when I knew the 3 piece was correct. These things do happen when you have limited resources but still want to put together a presentable car while you're waiting for that correct piece to come along. One of the nice thing about these cars is they are very modular. As I'm sure you've gathered, I tend to stay fairly old school when it comes to mods and upgrades. I tend to appreciate cars more when they have period-like upgrades vs. modern enhancements...... but don't get me wrong. With the invention of the pertronix I will never adjust points again :) Jim

Jim Hinkley

Perfect IS good enough.

Wow, the date of manufacture thing definitely is strange. Perhaps a vehicle could have been tied up by the quality dept before it was approved to ship?

Jim Hinkley

Perfect IS good enough.

My list of bimmers that I have owned includes a '72 '02 rustbucket, an Inka '73 that I saved from a basement in Montreal and rebuilt in '82/83. Drove that one for 15 years, and a '73 Riviera Blau that I drove for 10 years. That car was nearly rust free but needed an interior when I brought it North....also had a '72 Bavaria for 10 years or so.

I have a very good idea what to expect regarding restoration... and need to think realistically... I have nurtured a bunch of old bimmers and they have treated me very well over the years. I'm just hoping to take my BMW hobby to the next level, have fun, and not go broke in doing it...

I do love those early/close bumpers from the '72s and particularly the euro style ones. Having never owned a square tail light '02 I can say that they do look nice, but don't really excite me like round light cars do. Like I said previously, I like old things... antiques I guess, and would rather restore / preserve than modernize. I guess I'm sort of a purist in that way. Unfortunately, one with a limited budget.

So, I'm going to check out the photos of that early VIN car, and if it's just too far gone, I'll keep on looking for the right car to come my way.

I'm still very curious about the strange history of 'Ol #2760051.....

Hey, Jim! I want you to know that old Blue is fine and being well taken care of.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Hi back Bob... She sure is lookin' good. I hope you are really enjoying her. No buyer's remorse or anything?? :) As you can tell I'm getting the "02 Jones" again. The last time that happened Ol' Blue came home with me...lol.

Jim Hinkley

Perfect IS good enough.

Hi back Bob... She sure is lookin' good. I hope you are really enjoying her. No buyer's remorse or anything?? :) As you can tell I'm getting the "02 Jones" again. The last time that happened Ol' Blue came home with me...lol.

Absolutely no buyer's remorse, Jim. Glad to see you're getting back in the game! I'll swing by sometime soon.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Zac that sounds pretty old to me! Is that a "For Sale" sign I see in the back window? ;)

LOL. Thats my Legit GA License plate in the rear view window, so I can run my Euro tag on the back of the car :)

AND BTW this thread needs another picture so.. here you go.

IMG_2219.jpg

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg