• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 rear chrome bumper - interesting find

jdt10768

Took my rear bumper off to get it ready to be rechromed. Also has a dent that needs to be removed. I got out the drill and wire wheel to remove a good bit of rust - (just bought this car, and it has alot of work to be done), so I got the rust cleaned up on the outside of the bumper and moved on to the inside which was also rust covered . . . and in the middle portion of the bumper, as I wire wheel the rust away, I see words showing up slowly, inscribed with a tool, stating: "Johnny es 17". So I go to the 2 outer curved bumper parts parts to clean them up, and they also say "John" - one printed and the other side cursive. Sort of cool. wonder who he was? bored BMW factory QC worker? anyone seen this before?

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

There have been several posts by owners who found cryptic markings.

I left a note in my Touring when I refurbished it in '86. Not much use as I still own it. It needs doing again, so I'll get to see what I wrote.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

i will post some images in the morning. would be cool to find out who this guy is and if he is still alive - he should be

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT