• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo going going Gone.

penth2o

For being rare these things sure are popping up. I had seen one on BAT not too long ago.

Can you build/restore one of these stock/original?

Can you get all the needed parts these days. I would think with not that many in the states and maybe 100 left in the world it would be rough to complete one stock.

Is it possible?

Can you build/restore one of these stock/original?

Can you get all the needed parts these days. I would think with not that many in the states and maybe 100 left in the world it would be rough to complete one stock.

Is it possible?

Joel,

It is possible I am in process of doing that, building my own tribute car. I have been able to acquire most everything OEM and factory supplied I wanted and was willing to spend the money on.

That being said, I am doing this car so I can drive it and enjoy it with modest upgrades like intercooler and some other bit here and there.

It so far it is costing near the price of a good looking and running (not restored) car. Way North of 20K and counting.

post-2154-13667623124415_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

From the ad:

"Q: This is third Turbo to surface needing work in as many weeks! Would you mind divulging the VIN, as there are copies out there? Best Regards, Les Mar-23-10

A: Sorry I didn't put it in the ad. The car was initially in an accident when it lived in Italy. The shop that did the repair work apparently put on a new front clip and when they did they gave it a different vin number that isn't the usual 42xxxx series of other Turbos. The number they gave it is TP1211240B. They hand stamped it on the right front inner fender and put it on a metal plate which they also affixed to the right inner fender. Perhaps with some research one could determine the original vin; I just never took the time to do that. That's what I know about that issue. Any other questions please ask and thanks for your interest. Chuck"

'72 - 2533095 ex-auto, not stock

'76 - 2374191 PNO - boo, CA SMOG

From the ad:

"Q: This is third Turbo to surface needing work in as many weeks! Would you mind divulging the VIN, as there are copies out there? Best Regards, Les Mar-23-10

A: Sorry I didn't put it in the ad. The car was initially in an accident when it lived in Italy. The shop that did the repair work apparently put on a new front clip and when they did they gave it a different vin number that isn't the usual 42xxxx series of other Turbos. The number they gave it is TP1211240B. They hand stamped it on the right front inner fender and put it on a metal plate which they also affixed to the right inner fender. Perhaps with some research one could determine the original vin; I just never took the time to do that. That's what I know about that issue. Any other questions please ask and thanks for your interest. Chuck"

Value lost...

Yes, I remember when it was rare to see a 2002 turbo. Now they seem common, especially for the low number that were built.

The car with the replaced front end, maybe the engine block VIN matches...there might also be other clues to the car, since it would be a euro car. Do I see odd rear reflectors on the sides? License plate holes in the back panel? All other turbo parts present or missing? No big bumpers? Rear seat belt mounts?

vince

Market for these has peaked. The rat projects always stay stashed "too long." This happens with every "special" car that captures the fleeting hobby (read: speculator) market. It happened with 55-57 Chevys and T-Birds, 64-66 Mustangs, most "muscle cars" in general.

The reason so many ratty cars are coming out of the woodwork now is the market perception said they had value, the reason so many of them are trashed is these were poorly-engineered cars that didn't appeal to a wider audience, and those who had them drove 'em hard and often bashed the shit out of them and they invarialy got put away wet.

If you want a worn-out has-been with no direction in it's life, find a middle-aged divorcee...just remember she'll need to be told she's "hot" ... just like turbo owners need to be told these unbalanced wierdo vehicles are "special."

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!