• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on 72 Agave?

Guest Anonymous

After you study the buying FAQ list on this site, take a local 02'er with you to see/hear/drive it and go over it thoroughly. Appears to be a clean example, but I am looking at it from 3,000 miles away!

Good luck

EDIT: The more I look at it, the more I like it.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

The pictures you have don't show visible rust, but it would be helpful to see underneath. Particularly the driver's side frame rail, pedal box, spare tire well, rockers, and floor pan. Also, this car has a sunroof. Find out if the rear sunroof drain tubes have been re-routed or if they go into the rockers. If the drains still are in the rockers, look carefully for rust there. Sunroof models also tend to rust along the lower rear window seal.

Overall, looks like a very nice roundie, but I am biased -- agave is my favorite color and I have a '73. There are a few things that probably aren't correct for the year - like the front seat covers, center console, and it probably came with early steel wheels/hubcaps.

Read all the receipts and check the VIN no. thru Mobile Tradition, but a nice looking car. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Guest Anonymous

I looked at this car. Couldnt find really any rust just a couple bubbles. The paint loooks nice 15ft away but up close its shitty, there are parts that dont match the door jams are a metallic lighter green. Seems to drive good. Lots was redone but no reciepts. Dont know much about these cars though I want one. You think I could buy this at 3500 and its worth every penny maybe resell in 6 months for 4500? Or repaint for 2k and sell for 7500?

• 2 weeks later...

haha I ended up buying this one I think (not 100% sure as the craigslist ad is expired) but it sounds very familiar!

Was able to negotiate him down a bit and I'm very happy with it. It ran so so when I purchased it, but I've put about $80 into a few things like a new transmission mount (the rubber was completely disintegrated) and tightened down the plugs (cylinder 4's plug was almost barely finger tight - and had partially burnt gas around it!) it runs beautifully. The more I drive the thing, the more I love it. It honestly could have gone the other way because I didn't do a prepurchase inspection (I'm a decent shadetree mechanic) but things worked out!