• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Camcorder - What do you guys use

penth2o

Hi.

Looking to buy a decent high def camcorder and am comparing them now.

Out of curiosity wondering what you have found to be the best and for what reasons.

Feel free to rip on one model/brand over the other.

If I’m informed right:

Go for optical zoom rather than digital zoom as optical retains resolution when zoomed.

Hard drive.

PRO: large storage time

CON: the hard disc is a con as it is has moving parts and is less rugged.

they record video in a format that isn't compatible with most editing programs, so you must use the bundled software to edit.

DVD.

PRO: Record video and watch video instantly on a DVD player.

CON: Most discs hold about 30 minutes at the highest quality setting, and it can be difficult to edit. Many editing programs can't even import the video.

Flash Memory:

PRO: have expandable memory using memory cards to record video.

CON: durable yet compact, and conveniently fit in a pocket to access quickly for fast recording. Relatively large storage capacity which means there's no need to lug tapes, discs, or a laptop with you.

Thanks guys.

Hi.

Looking to buy a decent high def camcorder and am comparing them now.

Out of curiosity wondering what you have found to be the best and for what reasons.

Feel free to rip on one model/brand over the other.

If I’m informed right:

Go for optical zoom rather than digital zoom as optical retains resolution when zoomed.

Hard drive.

PRO: large storage time

CON: the hard disc is a con as it is has moving parts and is less rugged.

they record video in a format that isn't compatible with most editing programs, so you must use the bundled software to edit.

DVD.

PRO: Record video and watch video instantly on a DVD player.

CON: Most discs hold about 30 minutes at the highest quality setting, and it can be difficult to edit. Many editing programs can't even import the video.

Flash Memory:

CON: durable yet compact, and conveniently fit in a pocket to access quickly for fast recording. Relatively large storage capacity which means there's no need to lug tapes, discs, or a laptop with you.

Thanks guys.

i love love love my canon sd 780 "elph"... as you can see it is TINY, seems even smaller in person. it shoots in HD (720p) and has excellent image quality, even in low light. Bonus part is it also shoots excellent 12mp stills, something I have never seen a "true" video camera do well. I carry mine everywhere in a pocket in my jacket so it is always with me.

23644.jpg

I also got a three-pack of spare batteries for $10 including shipping from amazon.com! I used to lust for nikon but I am firmly a canon fan now. at the time I got it, nikon didnt make an HD-capable pocket cam...

$200 at amazon or newegg, and you can get black, gold, red, or silver. mine is silver...

Flash Memory:

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure how that is a "CON" on the flash memory camera. Flash is really the only way to go. They are more compact, use less energy, lighter, and the memory for them keeps dropping in price. You can get a 32gb SD card for around 70$, by this time next year that will be 40-50$. Plus you can swap the cards between devices if you want. I've got a GoPro HD helmet cam and a waterproof Panasonic SDR-SW20, they both use SD so I don't have to buy multiple spare cards for each camera.

I've used the canon vixia S100 and I like it a lot. I'd buy one if I had the money and spare time to use it. Another thing to consider depending on your budget would be a new DSLR like the Canon T1 or T2. The video on those isn't quite as good as their Vixia's because its a secondary feature, but if you just want to record family events and not make films it would be a great investment.

Thanks guys.

Yes Manimal. I was putting in the pros and forgot to list the cons. Screwed that one up in the post.

I ended up going to the city today. After looking online and checking to make sure what I saw online was available in the store I did the 2 hr trek to the city.

When I got there as usual it was a bait & switch. They didn't have the two I researched and compared specs. I had to start all over again down there with some punk kid at Best Buy breathing down my neck talking the canned spew they taught him in class.

I spent more than I wanted to as a result and probably got boned but I ended up with this. Canon Vixia Model: 4353B001

I'll see how it works in the morning as I'm going to a gentleman's private collection in Detroit.

Quite an amazing collection he has. Hit UTube and search: the sultan of michigan if you want to see part of his collection.

I'll let you know how it goes.

cannondigital.jpg