• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I should win an award!!!

For the most moronic maneuver ever.... Long story short.... I am moving the old boy ('76 o2) to new place of residence and when I get up to speed suddenly...thwump.... My sunroof!!! Gone!!!!

I have the sunroof in place but unattached. I just got some cables, and was going to put them in that very afternoon...... So I whip it around and I am just in time to see my roof panel get pummeled by a bunch of cars.... Sad times); I posted in parts wanted but also wanted to share my story of ineptitude, and see if anyone has an old parts car panel they are willing to part with. Thank you

'76 2002 anthrazitgrau 'Eli' the Chancellor

'87 325i delphin 'Chandler'

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna use this as an educational, and beat that panel until it fits again....who am I kidding, that thing was flattened. Also there was a nice 'skim' coat of bondo on it.... Looks like a good 3/8 of an inch!! No wonder my paint was scratching on the roof when opened.

'76 2002 anthrazitgrau 'Eli' the Chancellor

'87 325i delphin 'Chandler'

I know the feeling (stupid, that is). I did the same with a HOOD on my 02.. I (stupidly) figured speaker wire at the front and being latched at the back would be enough, but once I got up to speed, WHOOSH!

Like you, I looked in my rearview in time to see the chaos... Thankfully it didn't go through someone's windshield. I could've killed a bunch of people. Instead, a semi ran over it, and completely flattened it.

I pulled over, ran and grabbed the thing, dragged it to the side of the freeway. Destroyed. And that was after I'd spent probably 20 hours sanding it to bare metal and getting it into epoxy primer. Urgh.

Well, we learned our lesson, eh? No more driving 02's with untethered parts! ;-)

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

I took off my bike rack with a bike on it pulling into my garage. Now I transport it in the trunk!! Dented & scratched the roof, trunk deck & fucked up the rain gutter. Sheared a new carbon fiber fork in half on my race bike and snapped two of the Thule rack mounts. No more cars with bike racks!

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

My friend had this same happen to a roof of his 2002 targa. I'm not sure if it's the only targa in country! The car was just painted and it was coming back from upholstery on trailer. Upholstery guy had not closed the roof properly. It had to be fixed because spares don't exist.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

when i was maybe 30 i had 3 sheets of plywood strapped to the top of my ford ranger with topper held down with kite string (ok it was that cheap string they give you at home depot) and was trying to get it home on the freeway. A wind gust caught it and cartwheeled 3 4x8 sheets down the freeway narrowly missing numerous cars. it was rush hour and Im so lucky I didnt kill anyone. I learned from that one.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Funniest thing I saw, one December day a few years back, my wife and I were filling up her car, and watched a lady pull into one of those car washes with the spinning brushes and windows along the side.

The problem was she forgot to take the Christmas tree off the top of the car. It made quite a mess as the spinning brushes shot the tree off the roof! Wonder what she told the family when she got home with a rather sad looking tree?

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX

I was 12 or 13 hours into a trip to Michigan when a car entering the freeway rather briskly, if not aggressively pulled onto the freeway with their relatively new G(insert) M(comment) model into the fast lane, directly in front of me, only to have their hood suddenly fly up into their windshield. Fortunately, I was able to slow down and avoid hitting them as they pulled to a stop on the left shoulder.

The pic below is of my (then) 3.0csi that the PO had put a Webasto roof on. This was the start of a journey across to Austria in 1986 or 87.

On the way back in Germany on the autobahn the roof decided to let go. It held on in the back so I didn't actually lose it.

The one & only reason I'll never have another of those roofs.

post-12421-13667623316075_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hah, I love stories like these, they help me feel like less of an idiot for the stuff I've done. Driving down a rural road, at night in my sister's Wrangler and apparently I had forgotten to put down those rubber straps on the side because at about 50mph and turning on a corner the hide flies up and smacks into the windshield. The hood does not come off though, it sticks right there and I had to slam on the brakes with absolutely no idea what was in front of me. I ended up sideways in the road after I finally stopped. It was about 15m later after I had gotten back on the road and calmed down that I realized that I was going to have to call my sister.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Hmm, when I was 16 with my "first" motorvehicle... I fired the sparkplug out of my Zundapp 250 motorcycle like a mortar. I had put it in finger tight (got sidetracked getting the wrench) as a final repair anxious to take my Saturday afternoon ride (til it broke again). With no front fender and a clear trajectory, it went a good 40 feet. Fortunately, I found it, screwed it back in, and drove home to tighten it correctly. Drove it for another hour til something more serious broke (another week's work to drive it the following Saturday). That was a long time ago.. but I don't think I'm any smarter.

"Fiona" 1969 2002 Driver up for sale (sigh)

"Clarabell" 1980 Honda CX 500

2004 Pontiac GTO

and many more orphans up for adoption