• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOYOTA FACTORY IN FREMONT CALIFORNIA CLOSES

RIMSPOKE

When GM owned that plant it had massive labor issues. They closed it down, Toyota got in there and turned it in to a model facility. Properly led the place worked great. It was Toyota's only union plant according to an article I read today. 5,000 jobs down the drain. Makes me want to buy a German car!

Sad indeed. There were very good ideas with jobs that came from that facility.

The Toyota FX-16 GTS was a great little car back in the late '80s.

On the other hand, the same facility brought us the "new" Chevrolet Nova.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

When GM owned that plant it had massive labor issues. They closed it down, Toyota got in there and turned it in to a model facility. Properly led the place worked great. It was Toyota's only union plant according to an article I read today. 5,000 jobs down the drain. Makes me want to buy a German car!

it was a joint GM/Toyota experiment. It was a profitable plant and the only reason why they closed it was because after GM dropped out of the deal it was the only unionized shop in the Toyota organization. That plant achieved multiple awards and its a shame Toyota is closing an otherwise outstanding plant just because it is unionized.

http://www.nummi.com/awards.php