• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Dif.

Weber1569

Finally got my car on the road for the first time yesterday since I bought it (after four months of minnesota winter). Last night I believe I blew the Rear Diff. I am not sure how all that works back there but I was kinda fucking around seeing what she had. Any way the driveshaft still spins but the wheels don't turn. Is that the rear diff?. If so and anyone has one or knows where I can get one I would greatly appreciate the help/ sale. Also I was thinking about making it so both wheels have power to them instead of the one wheel wonder. That would be called a limited slip rear diff? If so does anyone know the differance in price between the two. P.S. I have a 1972 2002, non tii, Manual trans. (5 speed not original 4) If any of that matters.

yep, sounds like you have a diff problem. or you destroyed one of the cv joints internally. drain the oil out of the diff and count the parts that flow out with the oil. if more than zero, new diff time...;-)

stock open diffs are cheap. used for under $100. you could weld up an open diff to lock it to drive both wheels for another $50. not recommended.

used e21 limited slip diff install would be in the $500 range. rebuilt LSD will be in the $1000 range.

if this is for daily driver that won't see a track or auto-x course, just get a used stock open diff cheap.

2xM3

Thank you. I have one quick question on your post you said that I could weld something to lock it to turn both wheels but that it isn't recommended. Is that because the welds break, or because it breaks more stuff when they do? My father is an expert welder would it be something that a really good weld would change or is it bound to break stuff eventually either way regardless of the weld.

I have an open differential available if interested. $75+shipping. Also have half shalfs if one of the cv joints failed.

Welding the differential provides 100% lockup, meaning both rear wheels are engaged 100% of the time and rotate at the same speed. Thats fine for straight aways, but will cause your tires to scrub on turns. This cause excessive tire wear, etc, etc. Therefore, for track use only...

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

'73 2002 MegaSquirt in Restoration Since 2004

'71 & '74 2002 Parts Cars

I don't know if you are in a hurry to get rid of it or not but it will be a few days before I have time to tear into mine to see if that is what is wrong for sure. If it is still available than I will take it. Is there anyway to tell how good of condition the one you have is in? Like how long it might last? Thank you for your time.

No problem. The diff comes from a running, driving car. Speedo reads 68K, but I can't say whether either are original or whether the speedo has rolled over. Seamed ok when I drove it last year, I'll be able to tell you more when I pull it and drain the oil. Shipping will be $40 or so due to weight (~60lbs).

Thanks, Jon

herkojhATgmailDOTcom

'73 2002 MegaSquirt in Restoration Since 2004

'71 & '74 2002 Parts Cars