• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lights in the "on" position HELP

jayamasaki

Good day laddies. Hope everyone had an excellente Easter!

My brake lights stay in the on position only when i turn on my 1600. Is there a switch on the peddle assembly or somewhere else.

When i turn the key off, the brake lights turn off. the rest of the lights seem to be OK, (parking, signals, headlights, hazards OK) the minute the key is in the on position the brake lights stay on? any ideas?

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

There is a switch in the brake linkage behind the booster.

Sounds like you either need a new one, or it needs to be adjusted.

Many thanks!!!

Can anyone provide photos for me of what the switch looks like?

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

My 68 2002 did the same thing...I shot it with some Wd-40 and got it unstuck and then just got a new one from the dealer. I think the same brake switch is used for cars up through E30s -- mine had one in stock. Look at your brake booster on the back...it looks like a regular plunger switch with a wire sticking out of it. Get this fixed quick--don't want to melt your rear lenses.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

x2 on the possibility that it may be sticking.

Easy to replace yourself, two wires, two nuts sandwich the threaded body and allow for adjustment.

Autozone or Advance was able to get one for me the next day, it was like $10.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Not completely sure all, but on the '68 1600/2002 the stop switch might be located inside the car, behind the brake pedal, as on my 1969 NK 2000; still, easy to get to and every now and then I would spray some WD-40 or similar on the button end of the unit, manually work it; kind of keep it from getting stuck.

Tim.

Not completely sure all, but on the '68 1600/2002 the stop switch might be located inside the car, behind the brake pedal, as on my 1969 NK 2000; still, easy to get to and every now and then I would spray some WD-40 or similar on the button end of the unit, manually work it; kind of keep it from getting stuck.

Tim.

Well i took alook at it, as it turns out, the switch is on the outside, and it looks like there is a total of 4 wires into two seperate switches. however, the lights only turn off when i disconnect one wire from one switch. When i disconnet the other one on the other switch nothing happens to the lights, they stay on.

So i guess the switch is bad. I will go to the BMW dealer to buy a new switch.

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

Do you have the remote brake booster that is mounted very low? Or does it look like this?

Yes the booster is high and right below it are 2 switches mounted to the firewall. Each switch has 2 wires coming out the top.

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

Jason,

The stop light switch is mounted in the booster bracket as seen below, there are no other switches. There is a lead with 2 wires next to it that goes to the reservoir floats indicating low brake fluid. This illuminates the red warning light in the dash.

post-18106-13667624068517_thumb.jpg

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix