• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic car appraiser

Indy02

Greetings, just wondered if anyone here in the Midwest could recommend a classic car appraiser that is familiar with our vehicle type. Need to get it appraised for insurance purposes so I can be ready for V@V!! Thanks, Pat

Guest Anonymous

the BMW car club used to have someone who would write you a letter with the value, based on pics and a description - got one done many years ago, don't know if they still do it.

Another option is to insure it for whatever value you want - my insurance company says essentially that that is the maximum they will reimburse me if I make a claim, and that they may say it is worth less based on their evaluation at the time of the claim. But it is simple to get it covered this way.

THIS MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BUT CARMAX WILL

MAKE YOU AN OFFER ON THE CAR .

I NEEDED TO GET TWO APPRAISALS ON ONE OF MY ISETTAs FOR TITLING PURPOSES .

THE LOCAL CLASSIC CAR BUSINESS WANTED $75 ! HIS APPRAISAL

COMES WITH A BIG WRITEUP & PHOTO ALBUM .

I TOLD HIM THAT I ONLY NEED ONE PIECE OF PAPER STATING THE VALUE .

HE DID THAT FOR $25 AND ALL HE DID WAS LOOK IT UP IN THE CPI BOOK ! I ASKED HIM TO KEEP IT LOW BUT HE REFUSED .

I WAS STILL SMARTING OVER THAT DEAL BUT I STILL NEEDED ANOTHER ONE SO I TRAILERED IT DOWN TO CARMAX .

THEY WERE NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THE THING BUT THEY DID

MAKE SOME CALLS AND PRINT OUT AN OFFER WHICH I USED AS AN APPRAISAL .

THE DMV TOOK THE TWO OF THEM AND THE LOWBALL OFFER FROM

CARMAX BROUGHT DOWN THE AVERAGE VALUE AS WELL AS MY

"ROAD USE TAX" FEES .

THE CARMAX PEOPLE THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY BUT IT COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE WORKED OUT ANY BETTER .

reodor.gif

Hi Pat...with Hagerty...I'm not sure you will need any supporting documentation other than your required photos. I'd ask to have in insured for what you think you have in it and then some. Call them and ask for a quote. They were able to insure my 1600 for my recommended agreed upon value without any questions.

If you want to go the appraiser route--I googled and found this company here in Indianapolis:

http://www.vintageautoappraisers.com/contactus.html

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--